Monday, July 2, 2012

Do you really care about those around you?


As I was getting coffee for my Anne at our Starbucks I saw my friend, Officer S, sitting at a table reading on his Kindle as his shift finishes. He has become a good friend over the last 6 months as I have asked some tough questions in regards to some of my families and teens. We quickly caught up and I shared about seeing another officer on Saturday night that has also become a good friend. He was on special detail in an area where some of my teens live.

Our conversation varied between talking about the why question of the continued violence in the area. I can remember over the weekend having some guy flip me off and honk excessively because I chose to follow the speed limit in a school zone. Yesterday as I was driving past a bus another car passed me in the suicide lane as if I was standing still. I can see how road rage can happen rather easily.

Our conversation then transitioned to this officer’s faith walk and how it impacted his job. We talked briefly about the gospel helping us understand our brokenness and then the brokenness of those around us. We agreed that the solution to the violence begins first with addressing the brokenness of the families, the community, culture and the individual. My friend is involved in a church plant in the downtown that wants to be part of the diverse community that represents the downtown and even the hyper-diversity of South Phoenix.

The tone of our discussion changed to how it is difficult for the average Christian to understand that the need of those who recognize their brokenness isn’t to have a bigger paycheck, nicer house or newer car but a transforming relationship with Christ that then pushes them to live on the edge not in the comfort of consumerism or hedonism. I was impressed that my friend had read Tim Killer and understood the real drive of the gospel with God’s grace and mercy.

The sad reality, which he echoed with me, is that most Christians don’t give a rip about someone else who lives in a marginalized neighborhood that is a byproduct of my consumeristic appetite. How is it possible that I have any spiritual or moral responsibility for someone living on the street, a low-income family or a teen that overacted to someone at school and now is in jail? If you are like me in the past I specifically chose to be blind to the marginalized neighborhoods as I went to Starbucks, the mall or the gym. I allowed my schedule to stay busy so I didn’t have time to care or make a difference.

It wasn’t until I got involved with Habitat for Humanity that I started to experience multi-culturalism and real brokenness. It’s not that I’m the savior who has come to fix everyone but the reverse the one who sees his own brokenness and wants to be part of God’s solution which has everything to do with building relationships with those who are different from me in all ways of thinking. As I have walked down this path I have met some incredible people who are willing to get down and get dirty to see lives turned around.

As I just finished a conversation with a new friend. It struck me that not everyone wants to venture on the other side of the tracks or get sh…t on their shoes. My friend who is doing this is amazing. He could very easily stay in his nice neighborhood but has chosen to come to me and take a huge risk. We talked about whether what I do is safe and I was totally honest. Yeah, I have had things stolen from me and those in my group. Some in my group have stolen from each other and pretend that nothing has happened. Sure the immigration battle totally impacts my world and the families that live in fear and have teens who also aren’t legal and don’t know what to do.

What’s happening in my life is that I want to push people, especially Christ followers to give more than just a rip but give themselves to others. It is risky to be sure but in the end the most incredible experience is having my life impacted by someone before who I thought wasn’t good enough or too lowlife to be around. Jesus was pretty clear in saying if you wanted to show your love for him that love on those around you who are hungry, don’t have a home, need new clothes or give a cold drink to someone on the street. It is much easy to just live my life in a vacuum where I am purposely insulated from those in real need. This isn’t a socioeconomic thing but a choice to avoid any situation that might hurt me or cost me something.

So please see that God wants you to give a rip and do something versus watching life pass you along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment