Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Meltdown?


I have spent the last two days around a few teens that have had meltdowns. Looking back I have to admit that I’m not much different. I have the luxury of having a house, transportation and the means to hide without looking bad. As I listened to a teen lose it last night screaming profanities I was able to step back, this has taken a couple of years to understand and see why this happened. I also was around another teen that has been having serious health problems and just decided to walk out on his/her grandma. This teen hadn’t screamed out with his vocal cords but their actions weren’t any different.

As I drove another teen to get his medical records that is homeless they too could easily have a meltdown after their mom died and they no longer has family that can really help. It is very difficult for this teen to know what to do without a few friends stepping up. This teen was quick to share how easy it is to end up depressed and ready to throw in the towel.

I spent the last hour talking to another pastor friend about another teen that is living on the street and needs real help but continues to make poor choices that make it almost impossible to help him/her help himself/herself. I don’t like being in the setting where I have to prayerfully choose whom I can help and who I’m not capable of helping. I know that there are circumstances where we find ourselves in the middle that we didn’t create but we have to work through.

As I reflect on my life I was so blessed to have a mom and dad and brothers who were truly always there for me. I can remember when I crashed and burned as a teen that flunked my driver’s license on my birthday. (I went back next the day and got it.) It was also tough having a girlfriend of 2 years walk away and looking back I’m not sure what really happened. I had also been in a great rock band that was fun and provided the means to get a convertible car but like the girlfriend also came to an end. I had reached the end of my rope my last semester in high school. I was divinely put in the middle of a group of Jesus Freak Hippie types that shared God’s love with me in a very real tangible fashion that made all of the difference.

My hope for my teens and a few young adults that are experiencing the dark side of life is that they would look up and see the one who is truly their Help and Shepherd. It is easy for me to say all of this but not as easy for these teens to put their hope and trust in God. I want so much for them to experience the richness of God’s peace in their lives. I know that money; a place to stay or even more friends isn’t going to do this for them. I do hope that a few of these teens will get jobs soon but ultimately the emptiness on the inside which causes them to struggle at night isn’t going to disappear until their life focus changes.

My older daughter’s favorite verse as a kid growing up declares that we need to lift up our heads or eyes and see that our help comes from the Lord maker of heaven and earth and me. (This is my translation.) My prayer is that these young friends would life up their eyes to the hills and see the wonder of the God who created them and discover a hope in life that goes beyond any meltdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment