Sunday, February 10, 2013

Seeing My Dad's Impact on a Friend


I think it is too easy at times to take advantage of our parents and grandparents without realizing their past history or story. Today Anne and I had the privilege of reconnecting with one of my dad’s special friends from the Air Force. I had some memory of Bill and Diane but really didn’t know how my dad had been part of their lives. I knew that the Dittmers were closer to my age then my dad’s. I had received an e-mail last night from Bill hoping to connect with us before they left or Tucson the next day. I quickly e-mailed and then gave him a call.

We talked a little bit last night so we could make plans for a rendezvous today. I never know how my dad is going to respond to new people or going out for food. So I decided to just show up and kidnap him around 9:30 and go to our usual spot – Cocos. I didn’t know whether I would recognize Bill and Diane but I did. She hadn’t changed very much in 30 years. I told my dad about them as I got him ready to escape from his Senior Care Facility, he perked up and got excited to see them.  I was pleasantly surprised that he actually recognized them. He won’t remember that we had breakfast together later today but he does remember the distant past.

We ordered our food and once Grandpa was settled Bill said that he had something he had wanted to tell my dad and me for the last 30 years, especially since he has known about Dad’s Dementia. I could tell that this wasn’t going to be easy as he shared that he might cry while sharing. He went on to tell us about Grandpa being instrumental in his overcoming many fears in life, especially while doing his training to become a navigator. He gave a brief overview of his life and how dad had been so helpful in his becoming confident in facing life’s ups and downs.

He shared a few of dad’s rather amazing or pithy statements like, “We can do the difficult today but the impossible will take a few more days.” It was as if another world about my dad had been opened up which I really didn’t know much about. I then realized as Bill is talking that this was during Dad’s last few years in the Air Force before he retired and went back to college. I should really have known about my dad’s way of being an encourager and helper type because that is my DNA. I always thought it was my mom who molded me into who I’m today but it is just as much my dad’s doing.

We had a great breakfast as Anne and I filled them in on our history and also my mom’s last year or so. Dad sat there and listened and occasionally would say how much he loved and appreciated them coming to see him. I’m so thrilled to have reconnected and have gotten their info, which I had an e-mail but had little reason to contact them. I know that Bill has blessed me with a great picture of my dad that I will cherish for the rest of his life and my life. My dad is an incredible father and flyer whom I’m sure influenced many others during their transition from being a newbie to a seasoned aviator.

I know that my mom must be thrilled as she observed us having a great chat with her friends, the Dittmers. Life is such an amazing journey that when someone else gives a glimpse into a loved one’s past it is like having blinders taken off of your eyes. Thanks so much God for making this happen today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment