Thursday, September 19, 2013

Does Growing Old Rock or Suck?


I know that most have heard the new adage that today’s 60 something is more like a 40-50 something. As the aging baby boomer population takes over the world this notion of being old but young will continue to come to the forefront of social media and define whether self-worth and value are totally tied to being young. This last week I was pleasantly surprised with a 60th birthday celebration. I will be honest and admit that I dreaded having to face this day. What makes this difficult apart from being old and having to admit that I’m no longer a 50something is that my mom and I share the same birthday. The challenge with this is that my mom died 6 years ago from cancer.

My wife isn’t that great when it comes to hiding high tech stuff like e-mails or texts. I had some sense that a party might be eminent. What was a totally shock was that a close friend was also aging with her 60th and also had a family celebration with all 16 of her grandkids. So I was bullied into attending hers and then my wife under her breath says something about meeting up with our kids later. Haha little did I know that there would be close to 60 at my party but more that my brother and his family would be there also. I had been in a foul mood that morning because of something rather inane that happened over the birth of a close friend’s grandson.

It doesn’t take much to lift the spirit of someone who is aging when there is that LOUD SURPRISE as the lights turn on. It was a glorious evening because we had superb Mexican Food. I especially loved the decorations and the miniature piñata, which a friend’s younger daughter quickly beheaded. I know that there isn’t any easy way to enter into old age but why not celebrate. I could have chosen to just be by myself and be depressed. I don’t drink so I’m not going to get wasted or anything.

As the lingering guests slowly left as the hour approached midnight I briefly had my mind taken away from my mom’s passing. I know that she would have wanted me to celebrate and enjoy the evening. I have to admit that having lots of friends makes it easier to age gracefully without complaining. Now I have to decide whether I actually say that I’m 60 or keep saying I’m 59……. tough decision??

No comments:

Post a Comment