Thursday, September 12, 2013

Doesn't any one really care?


We live in a country that was founded upon equal opportunity for all. The challenge is that everyone isn’t able to take advantage of this offer. I live in a diverse community where someone’s lack of a dad, mom or real adult friend can put them in a disadvantage that can limit their future potential. Yes, I’m someone that truly believes that anyone can rise up and learn, with some help, what it means to own your life and take responsibility for your circumstances regardless of whether you caused them or not. The reality is that there are some that have unique obstacles, which stop them from being capable of being in the ‘main stream’. My question is whether society, culture, the church or corporate America cares?

Jesus in one of his last messages to his leaders made a huge point about his heart and passion for those that have been forgotten and left behind. I have a few friends that have been left behind and laughed at. I struggle about whether I should give them preferential treatment, let them struggle or hand them a silver platter with everything on it. I can’t fathom what it would be like to grow up with a physical or mental handicap that puts you behind everyone else. I know that the effort for the typical teen or adult will usually produce a result that will help that individual rise to the occasion and do more than exist but actually do something that matters with their life.

I know that in the business or academic context usually are only concerned about is the bottom line, GPA or ongoing graduate programs. Does anyone care or notice the individual who will never be able to survive the typical interview or make it beyond High School? Is there a place for the person that usually ends up on disability or lives with a parent or sibling for a lifetime? Is everyone too busy pursing their own goals or success to tangibly care or help? I’m at a loss for words when someone asks me to help them get a job when I know that it is very unlikely that a typical first time job setting will recognize this person as capable. It’s also tough to explain to someone that needs to move out of their horrible home setting that I don’t have an extra room.

I know that working together and building partnerships is a key path to help those in dire circumstances have a future and life that can have quality and worth. I also know that those I’m around who are in tough circumstances are able to contribute and a make a difference if we let them. My hope is that we would rethink the notion of what is success and what are the better qualities in life that do count forever! I don’t want to ignore or pretend that my friend doesn’t exist or deserve a chance for a better life and future only to be left behind in the race to the finish line of the business world or academia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment