Saturday, January 25, 2014

Recovering

I met someone the other day, who had just moved here from a place where there are four seasons. This individual was quick to say that they missed the four seasons while living here. I was quick to respond with would you rather have 70 degrees for a high or 20 degrees? I kind of like the clear skies and no snow, which makes it rather easy to get around and no fears of sliding off of the road or getting frostbite. I do understand how on occasion it is refreshing to do something totally different and that having a storm can help one stay inside and ‘chill’.

This last week I did put myself to my physical limit by running in the PF Changs’ marathon. I admit that meeting at 6:30 am was a rather chilling experience but ultimately the race finished for most around 11-12:30 under clear skies and beautiful temperatures. I had a slight cold, which meant that I had to blow my nose rather frequently but didn’t have to stop for this malady. I always try to avoid using the Porta Jons during the race.

My goal with not feeling 100% was to not stop even though that meant that I slowed down a few times and then with the use of my GPS sports watch could keep track of my pace easily. The only way to run this type of long distance is by training over months when you purposely push yourself to the limit to run probably 5 days a week and sometimes 2 times a day. The end result is that you are able to accomplish an awesome goal that is yours alone. I know at first everyone has visions of finishing first and winning either that $10k prize or maybe a car. The reality is that this is reserved for only a handful but the rest of us get this beautiful medal that is a reminder that hard work and setting goals is an important part of life.

The downside of training for months is that it does cramp your lifestyle a little. The other downer is that it does take a few days or a week to recover from doing this type of race. I know that my knees were rather mushy the first couple of days. I was especially sore with getting a few raw spots that most runners don’t talk about. This is why you see medical stations that have long Popsicle sticks with Vaseline on them. I hadn’t experienced any discomfort so didn’t grab one of these sticks. Yet, the reality that after I stripped and took a shower I was in acute pain. No details but just the fact that it was time for a week to slide and not run.

I know that for many it is too easy to always be programed to be busy thinking that is the ultimate goal in life. I can remember my mom at times stating that idleness is the workplace of the devil. I agreed to a certain extend with my kids but now see that rest and a change of pace is a gift from God that enables us to recover from life’s ups and especially downs. I know that I wasn’t the only runner last Sunday who wasn’t in perfect condition, which equates to more recovery time.


I’m glad that I could veg today with my Anne and not think about doing a long run or do something that might appear to be more important. I’m not sure I totally agree with my new friend that I miss the four seasons but I do like being able to enjoy the out of doors without having a parka, hat, gloves or face mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment