Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Stop Complaining!

I know that it is too easy to make a mountain out of a molehill. My mom would remind me of this almost on a daily basis. I was raised around family and friends who didn’t allow excuses to stop you from accomplishing your goals. I have also worked around youth and adults that are too quick to use any lame excuse not to be responsible for their own circumstances. I ran a ½ marathon this last week and am usually totally surprised by a few of the youth or adults I seeing doing the race that from the outside looking in should be at home watching the race on the news at night.

I have ran 6 marathons and now 2 ½ marathons and understand the amount of time and commitment it takes to be prepared for this type of race. I know that few can just do this without having spent at least 3-4 months preparing. I love one of the key leaders in this movement, his nickname is the penguin, who is quick to say that it’s not about the time because everyone lies or fudges about their real time but all about finishing whether you are first or last. I got a laugh at him because he was actually at the PF Changs’ Marathon and interviewed a gentleman who was running his 251st ½ marathon.

It is way too easy for me to complain and make something that isn’t a big deal into a big deal. I know that every time that I have run the PF Changs or other marathons I have always seen someone that literally melts my heart and I freeze and realize how fortunate I’m at the present. This day was no different. I was a little annoyed at how long it took to get the race going because it was cold out. After it got started with each coral being given at least a 3-minute wave time and the train or light rail messed it up I was finally running. I had been sick the last couple of weeks so hadn’t trained as well as I should have but seemed to have the energy and will power to run and do it. I got into a good stride and was finding my pace as I caught up with a lady who had polio and was running with her braces and crutches.

As I approached her I saw a few people tap her on the shoulder or give her a thumbs up. I wondered what went through her mind. I know that for anyone to run long distance is a huge accomplishment. She looked like she wanted to be treated like all of the other runners who varied from real tall to short, skinny to large and real young to lots of grandparents. I could tell that each step was painful for her yet she had this incredible smile on her face. She was dressed very nicely and clearly had trained to make this race a part of her life.


I passed her and prayed for her and hoped that someone else that had given up on life might see her from the sidelines and be willing to do something daring, like running a marathon.  I was hoping that some media type might have interviewed her after the race. Yet, I didn’t see anything on the news that night. They obviously showed the winners from each category. Yet, the person in my mind that was my hero and won was this lady who didn’t allow her disability to stop her from running. I know that it is easy to complain and then be reminded in situations like this that life really is a whole let better then I’m willing to admit. Yes, I will be training for the next race in June in San Diego. Who knows maybe I’ll see this special lady and be able to talk with her?

No comments:

Post a Comment