Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stupid Cold Bug!

I know that next to death and taxes, getting the flu during the winter is almost a guarantee. I have an awesome college intern who always goes the extra mile in helping out regardless of whether she’s working at night, has schoolwork or could be wiped out. I get this text from this intern saying that life would be so much better if she didn’t have this ‘stupid cold’! I quickly echo back yeah I so wish I didn’t have this head cold. I don’t have the energy or time to be sick.

I always chuckle at those that act as if they never get sick! I will always have fond memories of my mom always stating that her and my dad never fought?? Yeah, I remember a few times when they got into more than heated discussions behind closed doors. The point is that it is ok to get sick and ok at times to disagree or even get mad. The challenge is when we ignore our bodies’ cry for rest and a change in routine.

I know that guys, like me, typically don’t deal too well with emotions, which makes it tough when you are hurting. This last week I did one of the most challenges things in my life. I had my mom and dad placed in Fort Rosecrans Cemetery. This culminated over 6 plus years of struggling a little with my mom’s death from cancer than my dad’s recent death from dementia. We did something amazing and took a mini-family vacation and staid at a beach hotel. I did some reminiscing and had us go to all of the favorite places my parents love to go in San Diego. Everyone clearly enjoyed Filippi’s Pizza to Mission Beach and the creaky old roller coaster.

Yes, I’ve still got a head cold and have a group from Indiana that will partner with us today to make some burritos to take to our homeless friends and then bless a family by painting the outside of their house. I agree with my intern that having a cold ‘sucks’ but life still goes on and the better resolve for the new year is to still make a difference regardless of how one feels! It is interesting how getting out and doing helps make life better.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment