Sunday, August 10, 2014

What Do I Do?

I have become a quote junkie over the last year with various social media outlets becoming one of my main sources. I know that Solomon would aptly state that there is nothing new under the sun, which I totally agree. The interesting phenomena today is that you not only have an incredible quote but the packaging around it helps one even better connect the dots of life. My interesting quote today had a picture of a lion or tiger with the simple fact that one’s strength doesn’t come from weight lifting but from picking oneself up after you have failed.

I have to admit that I was rather irritated with a few people yesterday because they just don’t seem to get it. I have spent a considerable amount of time, personal energy and emotions walking with a few that seem to be in a haze. They don’t even get it that they are out of it. How is it possible for someone in today’s information age not to graduate from High School or get a GED? How is it possible in today’s job market for someone who tries and is persistent to not get a job unless they aren’t interested? I was ready to scream after I saw someone that was mooching off one of my close friend’s family.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all about giving a hand up to see someone rock their world and make a difference. My struggle is how long do you continue to help someone who doesn’t want to take step one to get back into life? How long can you play the game of life without realizing that you have hit the bottom and the only way is up? Yes, I ranted a little or actually a lot when someone continues to make poor choices thinking they are making good choices. I totally get it that your culture, past choices and your family have everything to do with your circumstances. Yet, I was raised with this sense that one is never to stop trying, don’t quit and clearly don’t make excuses that seem to place the blame on everyone but yourself.

My wife chewed on me a little not to be so hard and unwilling to forgive and help. I repented as we walked the dogs and thought more about impact of the dysfunctional family on the kids, teens and adults that we are around. I had attempted to get one of my 50 something friends who had crashed and burned this last week because of her crazy sisters. I was hoping to get her to get out of her house and fog and do something. I wasn’t very successful.

Yes, there is a common theme in many of the quotes that I have pulled off the Internet. It seems that all of us struggle with quitting and choosing to step up when the going is not only tough but seems impossible. The question, which is a tough one, is what is the difference between the person that falls by the wayside and the individual who faces their worst fears and seems to overcome them all of the time? I’m one that is quick to go back to Solomon or his father, David and recognize that it is the Lord who ultimately pushes, motivates and sustains me when I’m ready to throw in the towel. (We’ve all seen the footprint in the sand statement where I realize that most of my life I’m being cared by Jesus or a friend regardless of whether I can see that as it happens!)


So how do I help my friends who are on the edge of failure and insignificance? Some would say that until they actually hit bottom you can’t do anything. I’m quick to agree but it is very difficult to stand back and watch someone hurt themselves. So my wife’s encouragement is to keep reaching back, don’t quit and definitely not lower your standards or expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment