Thursday, July 30, 2015

Nature’s universal language transcends all languages!

It’s always a breath taking experience to visit Yosemite National Park in California and see the various waterfalls, Half Dome and El Capitan. I’ve had the good fortune to have hiked up half dome over twenty times in the last 30 years. It’s a death defying type of experience similar to doing a marathon for the first time. It requires every ounce of your physical and mental strength to accomplish this feat.  What’s even more interesting next to the sights of the Creator is the variety of visitors from all over the world. (They are also a testimony to our Creator’s design powers!)

I admit to the fact that I’m getting old so walking and jogging up Vernal Falls did require a lot of sweat energy.  It was well worth the 2 plus mile trek climbing over 1,000 feet straight up the mist trail and the ascent of the granite staircase. What stood out was that every language imaginable was being spoken as we walked, talked and listened. As we waited for the bus back to Curry Village I noticed my wife talking to a Korean lady. As I approached I realized that my wife’s new friend was only saying yes to everything that was being discussed. I was impressed with how friendly this lady was with my Anne regardless of the language barrier!

I confess to the fact that most Americans, myself included, make the erroneous assumption that everyone should speak English. Yet, the reality is that I haven’t made too great an effort to be bilingual so my broken Spanish doesn’t help much when I heard families speaking French, German, Korean, Chinese and a few African dialects. What stood out during our time away is how the love of a family stands above language much as the look of amazement on a little kid’s eyes as they see the various water falls in the park for the first time.

Clearly the little chipmunks that came out of the woods didn’t care about the language spoken but the handouts being cast around transcended human and chip talk! It’s so tragic that today’s news is consumed with the evil in the world instead of taking a pic of four generations of a family walking together up Vernal Falls and the look of elation of an 80 plus year old grandma.


After posting a few of my pictures from our Yosemite Trip I have lots of jealous friends. Yet, the language of a sunset or sunrise does transcend all languages as we gaze at the power of the One who purposely made the heavens and the earth for both our enjoyment and education!

No comments:

Post a Comment