Sunday, July 26, 2015

Unsubscribe - take back your life!

I know that there is a push for minimalism and that I can see the benefit of embracing that less is more! This last week I have attempted to help my wife understand that her e-mail doesn’t have to consumer her spare time. The challenge is that at times we have to choose to unsubscribe or opt out of things, people or events that waste our precious time. I confess to the fact that I have allowed my e-mail subscriptions to overtake my inbox. There isn’t anything glorious or impressive about having 1,000s of unread advertisements waiting to be deleted!

It’s so easy to be tethered to my iPhone so that I feel morally obligated to answer a call, respond to group texts or read a mailchimp or constantcontact update. I’m so thankful for voicemail and the ability to instantly text back that I’m not able to talk.  Yet, how often do we allow social media, texts and e-mails to stop us from experiencing life in the moment? Imagine what would happen if we took the time to unsubscribe to the things in life that stop us from living our lives to the max?

One of the most amazing features are short cuts on my laptop. It’s so easy to hit the command key and A key and then hit delete. All of a sudden all of those old e-mails or files are gone unless I choose to hit undelete.  My wife so often reminds me to turn off the T.V., put down my iPhone, put up my laptop and tune into life.  I admit that it will take some time to go through my e-mail list and intentionally unsubscribe to what might have seemed a good idea but ended up with endless advertisements.

It takes intentionality to retool your life. I know that it’s so easy to really believe that filling your calendar with events is the mark of success or spirituality. Yet, I’m learning that it’s so much better to do less and then ultimately do more. There is a tension between quality versus quantity. Who are you trying to impress? Does anyone really give you compliments on your multitasking skills?

I know that at times it’s easy to take someone’s unfriending me or unconnecting me as a personal affront instead of an opportunity to focus on my real friends. My hope is to never unsubscribe to life but to the distractions around me that stop me from having the best life possible.


So go find the small hidden print on the spam e-mail that gives you the option to unsubscribe to the list! Take back your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment