Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Heaven on Earth in the midst of a terror attack!

This last Saturday I had a group of over 200 friends help a group of seniors in a low-income neighborhood. We painted the exterior of 7 seniors’ homes on Saturday. I know that in the midst of doing an incredible community project that literally hundreds of families were mourning the loss of their loved ones in the midst of another tragic horrifying terrorist attacks. I can’t fathom the utter shock and fear of the people in the stadium or concert hall. I watched in total confusion as to the purpose of these attacks taking place at the same time in different locations. Why would anyone be willing to blow themselves up to kill fellow human beings?
I’m going to give a shout out and brag about two special friends, Samur and Muai. Saturday I witnessed a large group that ranged from Koreans, Chinese, a variety of different churches, a local high tech company and a significant group of Muslim college students show tangible expression of love in helping seniors. Over the last couple of months I have grown to appreciate the heart of these young Muslim friends who have been so willing to cross over religious and cultural barriers to help with doing community projects.
I know that the world will be too quick to judge all Muslims as if they are responsible for the actions of a small few that are extremist radicals. My Muslim friends exemplify the essence of true servant leadership that is reflected in their willingness to help all people regardless of race, creed or socio-economic setting. As I write this post one of my friends will meet me soon to help pick up all the left over supplies from Saturday’s painting blitz.
I’m personally humbled at the heart and character of my two young Muslim friends. My prayer is that the larger world community outside of Phoenix could see the work these young men are doing and see their passion to impact all life in our greater Phoenix area and ultimately the world. I confess that it’s so easy to label and judge different religious, racial or socioeconomic groups because of my own personal biases. Yes, desperate times do require what might appear as extraordinary measures to overcome the reaction to the terrorist attack. How do we confront the evil in the world?
I believe that my new friends have shown an alternative path to show the essence of their personal belief system that is so far removed from these suicide bombers. Yet, the sad tragedy is that the world will be focused on these twenty or so extremists as the rest of the millions of Muslims in the world will be judged as if they are responsible for the mayhem.
Big thanks and a shout out to Samur and Muai! You have blessed me in a way that has brought heaven to earth with the help of your group and the other 200 friends who chose to rise up early on Saturday and show the world that there still is a heart of love to serve seniors and those less fortunate!

No comments:

Post a Comment