Friday, November 27, 2015

Are you thankful on Thanksgiving?

I know that my kids growing up didn’t always appreciate their mom’s heart to teach them about God’s love, grace and mercy. We would have this silly tradition that there would be 3 M & M’s on their plates and they would have to think of at least three things that made them thankful this last year. As I respond early this morning to a simple text from a kid, where half the words are misspelled, I feel blessed and loved. More so the text from my wife accusing me of being ADHD at 5:30am causes me to chuckle but she’s the reason I love to write about the WHY of being thankful not just on Thanksgiving but everyday.
My incredible best friend, partner in life and mother of my kids is the one who has taught me so much about the beauty, gift and preciousness of life. She’s the one that reminds to look at the incredible sunrise or the stars that shine out at night during our morning walk. She’s the one that pushes me to consciously interact with our family, friends and even strangers in a face-to-face fashion. She’s the one that God has placed in my life that makes me thankful for each day of life regardless of whether the day is perceived to be great, so so or not so good!
I know that there will be many today who won’t have a great Thanksgiving Day. Many won’t have friends or family but at least will be in line at St. Vincent de Paul’s for an incredible meal. I had the blessing of giving out Thanksgiving meals a few days ago because of an amazing gift of love by a partner church. Yet, I had a few calls from single moms who don’t have anything. I have the choice, do I respond and go out and buy another meal or act as if I’m finished helping? Tough question when it comes to how far do you go when it comes to living out Thanksgiving?
I’m thankful for the gift of life that each day reminds me that the little things in life, beautiful sunrise, a cup of coffee, a chuckle from a kid, my wife’s foot rubbing up against mine in the middle of the night is what ultimately makes life meaningful. I know that I could write some type of theological statement on the propositional notion of being thankful that might impress a few of my more intellectual friends but life should be lived in such a way that a kid can understand what you are saying and you can take the time to listen to a grandma who is lonely regardless of how impatient you are around seniors.
I hope you can find at least three things today to GIVE THANKS for as you reflect on how good you have it in contrast to many who will experience brokenness and loneliness today. I’m thankful for my wife, my family, incredible friends and most of all for a God that gives my life purpose and a reason to scream out today THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment