Thursday, May 12, 2016

The easy way isn’t always the best way!

Why is it the case that so many today are petrified of hard work? I was raised by a hard working mom and a very resourceful dad that never gave me the opportunity to be lazy and assume that the path of least resistance always has a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  I had a fascinating conversation with a young lady who works at the rec center where I take my guys often to shoot hoops. I was impressed with her wisdom when it came to the ills of today’s society especially with young people looking for jobs.

I admit that I’m old and have had a variety of jobs throughout my life. What I’m learning is that my parent’s influence in my young life helped me to not shy away from doing something totally outside my box. As I listened to this young gal talk about her dad’s impact in her life it struck me at how easy it is to make excuses about life and always do the blame ‘thing’ to avoid owning your life circumstances. She was quick to admit that her dad had spent some time in prison for doing some crazy stuff in life. Yet, she explained how her dad wasn’t afraid to get any type of job and throughout life was able to provide and ultimately became someone who owned a house. Her simple, yet profound point was that too many in today’s youth culture assume that jobs just come to you by doing nothing.


What got my attention with my young friend was how her present job she got when she was 16 and has been at the rec center for almost 10 years.  She continued the conversation with explaining how most of her friends didn’t have any direction or purpose in life. She was quick to explain how her dad helped her focus with her pursuit of education and her present job. Her youthful wisdom said that there wasn’t a perfect job and that learning to be content in life was key to being successful. I was taken back by her seasoned wisdom for someone so young!

As we watched a group of young guys shoot hoops she was quick to mention how easy it is to get distracted in life with dreaming that you will become the next draft pick for the NBA or NFL. Her point was that having a couple of brothers she understood how difficult it is for today’s young men to think ahead and pick a path to pursue to land not a job but a career with a future.


I know that having a dad who grew up in both poverty and real racially tense environment didn’t stop him from pursuing his dream of going to college and becoming an Air Force Aviator.  It would have been so easy for my dad to blame his stepdad for his circumstances and choose to drift in life and become a quitter. Yet, my dad’s glowing example was that he was someone that was never afraid to do something different and would always say that the difficult we can do in a day and that the impossible will take a little longer.


So why miss out on the adventure of life by allowing fear to paralyze you from taking a risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment