Monday, May 2, 2016

What's the real reason for learning?

Do you have memories of all nighters and cramming for finals in college or grad school? I know that for most of us the real goal in school wasn’t necessarily for knowledge or practical life experience but for getting a grade that would take us to the next level. The challenge was that at some point in life I was supposed to have learned all of this ‘stuff’ because it does actually matter or does it?

I believe one of the most amazing gifts we can give to the up and coming generation, my little grandson Hudson, is to be living role models for being life long learners. Yes, I would actually want to continue learning in life even after the grades are no longer important! The difficulty today is that there are too many short cuts because of high tech where learning is considered a thing of the past. Why actually read a book or an article when I can ask Siri or Andy a question and get a quick response? It always shocks me when I’m around someone who isn’t capable of adding, subtracting or multiplying in their heads but need their fingers or a calculator.

I will be the first to admit that the academic type of learning isn’t necessarily for everyone but at some point in life you and I must take ownership of our learning process in life and do something! There isn’t any short cut for learning or a pill you can ingest that will help you better understand or master something that’s new. I was recently at my father in-law’s 90th birthday celebration. What’s amazing about Paul is that even in his old age he has pursued his dreams in life regardless of the naysayers or his wife screaming at him, ‘You can’t do that!’ as he jumped out of an airplane that was 10,000 feet above the coastline as he parachuted to the ground.

Yes, I want to be able to have goals and accomplishments that keep going until the day I breath my last breath on this earth. Yet, it would be so easy and comfortable to coast through life on my learning and accomplishments from yesterday or from a friend who is the genius type. What has to happen for me to not be content with living in the past and to help me want to keep growing and learning? I know for me it has been the incredible life examples of my wife, who is always pushing me to see life in the moment or my niece who will graduate from high school soon at the top of her class on her way to UCLA or my crazy brothers who never quit and saw their dreams become a life reality.

Looking back I did care about doing well on tests and figuring out ways to study and learn pre-fossil era before the Mac had come into existence. Yet, the ultimate goal of learning must be to live a better life, have my eyes opened to the beauty of life and to influence the world around me so others also may open their eyes to understand what’s really important in life.  I know that it’s so easy to live vicariously through your kids, spouse or friends and miss out on life. Don’t become a spectator who watches others live out their lives to the max as you sit on the sidelines.

Today dive into life and learn something new and different! I know for me the last couple of weeks of focused on understanding how phosphate and nitrate levels in a saltwater bio tank influence the growth of longhaired green algae. It actually takes some learning on my part and taking some specific action to see my bio tank become crystal clear again. I made some big mistakes that cost me a couple of fish but in the learn run I see the direct correlation between my inaction and impact it has on my life and the lives of those around me, even my little nemos!

Don’t lose sight on the real reason for learning!









No comments:

Post a Comment