Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Don’t wait to ‘love on’ your grandparents!

We were out for an evening walk with our dogs as the sunset glowed before us on the canal trail. I decided to splurge for my Anne with a caramel frap from my Starbucks. I was delighted to have a freebie for my Starbucks drink but as I was opening my app to pay for the drink I noticed a message from a close friend. It was regarding one of my friends who is like a grandpa to me. I dreaded to receive this message from this far away friend because I knew that it could be the news of Andy’s death or as we say ‘home coming to heaven’.

It wasn’t too long ago that I had received a message from my same friend about his ailment that turned out to be terminal. I had sent my friend and his wife a couple of notes to tell them how much I appreciated their friendship over the last 20 years. I knew that they were a rather private couple that didn’t necessarily want someone to invade their space. Yet, looking back I do have a regret that I didn’t make the trek to their home. I needed to say my ‘earthly’ good-bye and be like a son to them. I didn’t realize until now that they didn’t have any children and their extended church family were truly their sons and daughters.

I have the privilege of working with seniors being able to connect them with kids and teens who need to appreciate them. It’s so difficult in today’s high tech world to help kids and teens see that seniors, especially their grandparents, aunts and uncles need their love and attention. I know that as a semi-rebellious teen I didn’t show a lot of respect to those that were older. I perceived them to be rather critical and impatient when it came to their willingness to pay attention to me. Yet, as I have become a senior it strikes me what I missed out on as a kid, teen and young adult. Now I have the opportunity of bringing people together to ‘love on’ seniors by painting the exterior of their homes and more importantly intentionally spend time with them.

Over the last eight years I have connected 1,000’s of volunteers to paint over 160 homes of grandmas and a few grandpas. I have lots of friends that represent churches, businesses, schools and colleges that have taken the time to make a difference in the life of a grandma. I’ve become close friends to many of these seniors in a way that makes it very difficult when they draw close to their final days. I will always remember crazy Maria or Mary who captured my heart as we became friends as I visited the senior center over a couple of years.

My dream is to be intentional about connecting youth and ‘us’ seniors. I want to help create a bridge between the elderly and the youth growing up. I needed my friend Andy’s friendship over the years. He was someone that believed in me even when others seemed to question what I was doing. He wasn’t your ‘touchy feely’ type of guy but still went out of his way to show me encouragement. I know that kids and teens so much want attention and at times will do anything to get it. Seniors aren’t much different because their circle of family and friends has shrunk so they definitely need a hug and someone to appreciate them.

I have adopted a couple of grandmas, Doris, Bernice, Maddy, Hattie, Latte and others who keep me smiling and laughing. Yet, I know that one day I will get a phone call or go to visit to discover that they are gone. My hope is that I can be more intentional about being there for them in the ‘right way’. My memory of my grandparents is that too often I saw them as a quick way to get the needed funds for a date or event. I do want to lovingly spoil my grandson but want him to actually know me and not just see me as quick cash.

LOVE ON a grandma type today and see the smile on their faces!!





No comments:

Post a Comment