Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Slow down and take care of yourself!

This is post is for those of us who are the over achiever types that have close friends always talking to you about your need to slow down and take a break. I had a good friend chide me yesterday for working too much. It would have been so easy to argue with her but I sat down and listened to what she had to say. After listening I explained to my friend how I work and offer some thoughts on being able to still be a person who performs but because of being strategic has time for myself.

I will be the first to admit that at times I find myself in the middle of a storm that I’m partially to blame for being busy. Is it possible to birth a mindset where you stop trying to prove yourself, show off or believe that doing more is always the better path? Instead I’m learning how to take time for myself first and have discovered that everything falls into place and I’m able to achieve my goals and do more. Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I’m more concerned about doing more but having my priorities thought through before I allow the ‘tyranny of the urgent’ to rule my life.

I admit that being a type A person it’s so easy to get my sense of worth and value from what I do or achieve. I’m instead thinking through what’s more important is guarding my heart and my life from the busy is better cycle. My emotional energy is drawn not from what I do but from whom I choose to be! I confess to the fact that most male baby boomers have been raised or programed to be competitive and see being second as being a total loser. What I shared with my concerned friend was that my life passion of being a helper and server has given me the ability to help myself and love me for who I am instead of thinking that my life would be better if I only achieved another goal.

I admit that having an incredible wife, life partner, friend and mutual mentor has taught me the importance of being a person who always pursues the best in others instead of being in a race with the finish line being more important than the person running next to you. My mom taught me over the years to be an early riser who ultimately sees the good in others instead of having a critical mindset. Clearly if I’m going to have a healthy emotional life I must find a balance between giving to others while I’m also giving to feed my life spiritually, physically, emotionally and intellectually.


As my dogs remind me daily that to take a ‘dog nap’ each day that helps me slow down or stop does fuel me for a day that will have lots of demand and at times emotional heart ache. Don’t be surprised when you choose to take time for yourself you will have more time for others!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro. of new city. The Lord has confirmed once again thruogh your post to slow down. I am now 68 yrs old and have been involved in many things but have decided to come out of other responsibilites and focus on strengthening the church. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, india. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I aslo blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been inthe Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your grown up children come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is :dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete