Monday, October 23, 2017

Be a good neighbor and change the world!

One of the more annoying things my mom would do as we moved every few years is the ritual of taking my brother and me to meet our neighbors as we adjusted to life on the next Air Force Base! As I remember and celebrate the lives of my mom and dad (who have been gone 10 & 4 years) what sticks out was how neighborly my parents were intentionally. Hospitality was a natural part of my DNA thanks to my parents. I can remember having my dad grill on the BBQ a variety of foods from ribs, steaks, hot dogs to pork chops to share with our new set of neighbors and friends.

Unfortunately, with the advent of gated neighborhoods, 6 foot walls, garage door openers and no front porches we have removed the likelihood of knowing a neighbor. We moved recently into a new neighborhood where I can honestly say only 2 neighbors have reached out and have been friendly to us over the last year. I have received a few notes on my car window if I happen to park on the street too close to my adjacent neighbor. How do you be a good neighbor when it seems we live in a world of block walls, garage door entrances to our homes and no front porches?

Last night one of my ASU Interns, a mom in her 40’s, welcomed a group of 15 girls into her home to do Karaoke and enjoy an incredible lamb and special rice dinner. My good friend is of a very different cultural, racial and religious background then most of my Barrio kids and teens. Yet, the excitement of the group was exponential as we drove 30 minutes to her house. Imagine what would happen in our different neighborhoods if we were willing to take in the annoying neighborhood kids and love on them?

One of the incredible acts of being a good neighbor for me over the last decade has been to paint the houses of low income seniors in my larger neighborhood. It has become an awesome gift to me to have a group of key leaders, who are seniors, help me find more houses to paint. Last week we painted the house of grandma Thelma. As she watched a group of 40 including little kids I saw tears rolling down her cheek. We had been a good neighbor to our Abuela Thelma.

I know that most of you will remember the jingle of a certain insurance company, ‘Like a Good Neighbor…..’ Dream for a minute what would happen in your city, larger neighborhood or street if you didn’t wait for someone to show hospitality but you knocked on your annoying neighbor’s door and showed kindness?


Be a good neighbor then you will have great neighbors and an amazing neighborhood and our world will be a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment