Monday, October 23, 2017

Don’t forget your grandparents or parents!

This last week I remembered and celebrated both of my parent’s heavenly home coming and their 65th wedding anniversary. It’s been 10 years since my left us not under the best circumstances. She had battled cancer for over 8 years. Her initial diagnosis and surgery left her in good condition only taking an oral drug. My mom and I shared the same birthday so this meant something special to me considering the odds of being born on the same day! The funny thing is that for some odd reason as a kid growing up she lived under the illusion that her b-day was the day after mine. It wasn’t until she applied for her Social Security at 65 that she discovered the mistake.

As I’ve become a grandparent recently, my mom and dad’s amazing characteristics become reminders of how I want to be as a grandparent. I know that it’s very difficult in today’s busy world of social media and a vast array of world crisis happening to intentionally make time for your kids and their kids. Sadly, too many allow time to fly by and you realize that your kids are now out of the nest and have moved to a different city and you must plan to see them. (This requires some financial forethought.) I’m fortunate to have all of mine still in our area!!

I had the privilege of speaking at a generational church yesterday to a congregation that ranged from little kids to slowly moving grandparents. What struck me as I spoke at 2 services and an adult class was the ongoing opportunity to be better at connecting with seniors in a practical fashion. I’m so blessed to have the awesome gift of walking with many grandmas and grandpas to see the community stand up and do something heart driven that makes a difference.

I joked a little about how difficult it has been through the generations for the youngings to relate back to their grandparents. Sadly, the perception is that old people are cranky, complain all the time and seem not to care. The reality is that young people are crude, rude and foul mouthed. Yet, the real need is to have both groups lighten up a bunch and see their opportunity to have special friends. I’m totally blessed with a group of grandmas and grandpas that have become genuine friends over the last decade.

So, is it possible for both younger and older generations to look beyond our quirks and walk together instead of arguing about ‘dumb’ stuff? I caught myself yesterday reacting to a grandpa who said a few things during my presentation that just reflected his love of the past. I was good and didn’t say anything. Yet, I know it so easy for the upcoming generation to flout their tech savvy skills and make seniors look totally out of touch.

Is it possible to set aside our petty differences and be family? I know it’s very possible and I must start the move to reach back to both young and old!



No comments:

Post a Comment