Monday, September 21, 2009

Birthday Blog

Aging is something that as a youth we wished time would fly by and as we get older we pray that Father Time will go at a snail’s pace. This last week I celebrated my birthday and it was mostly a sad day. My mom and I share the same day. She went home to be with the Lord almost 2 years ago. I really had intended my birthday to be busy so I wouldn’t have a lot of time to be sad. I had breakfast with a good friend at Matt’s my favorite breakfast place. I had a meeting with another pastor who is helping plan our Painting Blitz and then Tutoring Club in the evening. I have to admit that I cried a bunch while I drove around that day. My pastor friend canceled at the last minute because his sitter for his daughter was sick. At the last minute I changed my schedule to be at home.

I do confess that I get energy and hyped when we do the Tutoring Club. This was our second session after restarting because of school. We had a great turn out and had an amazing surprise I had a birthday cake from my kids and friends. It was great having a large group sing happy birthday. I was still tear-filled. After dropping off a few kids I went back to the Flores’ house. I really did expect anything but to say hi and go home. Instead it was a surprise dinner and cake number 2. I love Mexican food so this was a true birthday blessing especially with a nemo cake.

We had our family dinner on Friday and went out to one of my favorite pizza places. It was really a great evening and had my 3rd birthday cake. This one was a dud; Anne got it from Fresh and Easy. I was excited to get a PS3, which is both for video games and also Blue Ray Discs. We had a great evening and I truly felt loved. I miss my mom because she always made everything special. It isn’t that my dad is a dud or my Anne can’t do it right but there is always something different my mom’s touch. My Saturday turned out to be a busy day that wasn’t suppose to be that way. I had connected with a new pastor in the area who decided that we had to meet on Saturday. One of our families we had helped paint their house had their care taker get seriously injured so we visited this gal after she came out of the hospital with her jaw wired shut and her face very swollen. We did another night out with my older daughter and husband at Ted’s Hot Dogs. I had forgotten that it is a favorite place for ASU football fans on game night. So we waited in line for about 30 minutes.

We finished off our Saturday with visiting a young couple, who are involved with New City, in the neonatal ICU at a local hospital. Their daughter, Janel, had been born with some serious problems that required immediate surgery and ongoing care. This brought back memories of our yearlong birthing process with our Heather. Anne actually got to fed Janel. We went home and collapsed and I still thought about my mom, memories of her care for my Heather.

Sunday always comes after Saturday so it was a rather typical day with prep for church. I was again pleasantly surprised to see some of our New City kids make me a birthday cake and make a larger Happy Birthday Banner. It was incredible way to be reminded that I am loved. I still miss my mom and I know that birthdays will always be tough. I did discover this week that I shared the same birthday with numerous people involved with New City. One of the teens who is involved, twins whose Grandma’s house we painted and then another gal whose mom’s house we painted.

I know that birthdays are special especially for younger kids. So we always try to do something for those kids that are involved with New City. I don’t feel like I am 56 and hopefully I don’t act like I am old.

I love you mom! Happy BirthdayJ

Your son - David

No comments:

Post a Comment