Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Kingdom is Here

Today has been one of those days you look back on and feel good about what God can do through his extended body the church! I am always a little anxious when it comes to doing mercy events that involve over 40-50 people. I was expecting maybe 20 to come out and paint the Perez family house today. Instead we had almost 50. What is truly remarkable was that there were lots of teens and also older folk like me. I had the privilege of stepping back and watching the miracle unfold. Everyone worked together without any fighting, screaming and primarily had fun.

I would love to be inside Herminia’s house and listen to what she will say to her husband when he comes home from work. You won’t believe it, this is obviously in Spanish, there were close to 50 people who painted our house. They were all very nice and friendly and seemed to really care. I am sure she will show off her nice Bible that is in Spanish and English to her friends. It was a joy having a simple craft for her kids to do while we painted the house. We had some left over crosses that you decorate and then put on stands. They are made out of some type of foam rubber material.

It always saddens me when I see believers argue over the silliest things that must truly sadden the Father and make pagans laugh at us. Today was a day when there were many different churches represented that did have very different views of a variety of things. We could have gotten into not discussions but arguments over the end times, baptism, or fill in the blank. Instead we were truly showing the gospel in both word and deed. The Spirit clearly worked through even goofy teens that don’t always catch on when it comes to work. It was a blessing to see teens be willing to clean up the painting mess without complaining.

After finishing the house we loaded up everyone and went downtown to give out cold water to the homeless. This is always a heart-wrenching thing for me because I can’t imagine what it would be like to not have a home, car or family around you. Again it was a great testimony to see the teens handing out free water and T-shirts without complaining or reacting to the homeless. I am learning that people are people regardless of where they live, how they dress or what type of cigarette they smoke.

I can imagine Jesus himself saying that as you have loved the Perez family, Art’s family and those on the street you have truly loved me. Jesus has a heart for those who are usually forgotten and often considered to be sub-human. I pray that what New City is doing will impact both the local body of Christ and the neighborhood where God has called us to live. We finished off the morning with going to my favorite place for some great tacos or Sonoran hot dogs – the Ranch Market.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment