Wednesday, September 16, 2009

No Accidents

I was returning from a Church Planting Network meeting in Dallas Texas and as usual had a three-hour flight to get back home to Phoenix. I look forward to see who God will place next to me when I fly. I was flying back with a fellow pastor and good friend. He had noticed that our flight was delayed by at least 30 minutes so we found another flight to catch that would get us home earlier without any penalty. So we board a plane that is going to stop in Austin and then onto Phoenix.

The flight going to Austin was totally packed so I sat in the back of the plane and then after landing moved to the front to sit with my friend. He got off to take care of business and as the group starts to walk by I was curious to see who would sit next to me. There is this 30 something gal who is lugging her suitcase, coffee and managing talking on a cell phone who happens to drop her purse and then asks if she can sit down. As she sits down it is obvious that she is crying her heart out. So I do the normal Dave thing and ask if she’s ok. She replies with a sobbing ‘hell no’! I then ask what’s wrong or something and then that leads into a two hour conversation of listening and leading.

She shares her life story over a couple of hours and turns out to be an adjunct college professor at a Community College in L.A. and teaches English Lit and Rhetoric. I get nosey and ask why she is so stressed out and crying. She then proceeds to talk about how she discovered a friend from High School on Facebook. This then leads to a long distance romance and friendship. She obviously didn’t want to return to her apartment close to the beach in L.A. but couldn’t leave her students whom she adores behind. As I listen and ask the obvious question she proceeds to tell me about Bob (not his real name) and discover that he has 3 kids, is divorced, remarried and getting another divorce. I do pipe in that I have been married almost as long as she has been around. (My Anne would be proud of me.) She quickly affirms her respect for her friend’s love for his kids and commitment to do the right thing. This becomes the basis upon which she is willing to have a cell phone and Facebook relationship with her High School friend.

We talk about everything from politics, religion, the environment, teaching styles, philosophy, science and her youth. She easily converses about any topic and shares her love for teaching and learning. The unfortunate thing, which wasn’t obvious at first but becomes clear, is that she lives in constant pain and has Fibro Malaga. We talk about different treatment paths and her ability to block out her pain through meditation and going for walks on the beach. I am able to talk about my life, love and passion and describe that good relationships happen and can be nurtured and grow. I share the gospel with her and she comes back with her story and proceeds to tell me her church is at the beach.

I ask her about her education and discover that she is a Purdue undergrad. So I get my friend involved in the conversation who is also a Purdue grad. We all laugh and remember about college and grad school. As we are coming close to landing I explain that I don’t believe in accidents. I told her that we were supposed to be on a different flight but because it was late we changed planes. So obviously we were supposed to talk. She shares that our 2-hour discussion had gotten her to calm down and not be an emotional basket case. She pays me a compliment in saying that obviously I am a good talker and have the ability to minister to another’s soul. We exchange business cards and bid farewell. I have no idea whether my new prof friend will e-mail or FB me in the next week. I told her when she returns to Austin she must meet one of my good friends and his family who live there.

My prayers go with her that she would have her eyes open to see the true Creator and Designer of the universe who is the greatest artist and writer wants to be her best friend.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment