Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Laughing at myself

I usually consider myself as being in my ‘right’ mind most of the time. This morning I got up early to meet someone and because of cleaning our bedroom we slept downstairs and I go to put my shoes on as normal. Little did I sense that as I walked out to get into my truck in the dark that I had one sandal and a normal shoe on my feet. As I walked into a Starbucks and sat down I noticed my opps. I laughed at myself and my friend at first didn’t notice until we were finished and walking out. Yes, it is so important to step back and chuckle at times at yourself and the silly things we do that aren’t life threatening but could be.

I had a meeting with a couple manager types from my communities’ property management company yesterday and had the same kind of thing happen. I am always striving to be early to everything I do to known as someone timely but also I honestly enjoy some alone time on occasion. We were going to meet for lunch at one of my favorite places, Tradiciones. As I pull up early and am still in the middle of a conference call it didn’t matter to me whether the group would show up exactly on time. So I continue to talk with my friend and listened to his present life story and finally realize it is already time for these other people to appear so I politely tell my friend adios and pray for divine leading in his life circumstances. I wait an additional fifteen minutes only to discover no one shows. I am a little ‘miffed’ but continue with my other appointments for the day.

Later that night I e-mail the main guy I had arranged the appointment. I come home later after a date with my Anne and see an e-mail from this guy. He explains that he had left the company on Friday and that things weren't great. I then send another e-mail to the lady in charge to seek an explanation. She obviously is up late and gives the impression that this other guy is out of it and she didn’t know about the meeting. I go back and check my old e-mails and realize she might be right or realistically pretends that she didn’t know. So what do I do? Get ticked, do nothing or honestly tell her, which I did a little that regardless of what is going down that she should have contacted me and told me that the other gentleman was leaving and that any correspondence with him would be questionable.

Yes, I am learning not to get bent out of shape too quickly anymore even though I myself wouldn’t stiff someone without telling them as soon as possible.

As I was picking up one of our kids for church this last week I was able to talk to her mom while she was on her lunch break in the afternoon. She expressed how thankful she was for New City and the impact that it was having on her daughter. She is a single mom who has her grandma living with her who requires care 24/7. It was a breath of fresh air to have someone say a simple thanks. It made my day and helped me weather the misfortunes of others in the business world. Yeah it is good to laugh at yourself when you do something ‘dumb’ like put on different shoes without realizing it.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment