Thursday, November 5, 2009

Senseless

I got a couple of texts yesterday afternoon from one of my teens. She was obviously mad as ‘hell’ and didn’t have anyone at school to scream at. I texted her back and asked what had happened. She went on and described how her hommie or boy friend had been killed the night before in a fight. At first I really didn’t believe what she was saying. Why would anyone go after a 15 year old for his wallet and his cell phone? I could see someone coming after me for my iphone and wallet. They wouldn’t get much out of the wallet but the phone would be worth a bill at least. She couldn't txt or talk because she had to go to class.

I go online and find a very short report on the teen’s death. I switch on the evening news and hear what happened. He was walking on a major street when approached by two other teens that wanted his wallet and phone. He threw them down and took off running. They continued to chase him and someone in a car also went after him. They eventually caught up with him and literally threw him in front of oncoming traffic. It turns out one of their friends probably is the one that ran over him. The police show up and the teens all disappear including the one driving the car. Why? Is this type of violence really worth the risk to end up killing a young teen for a wallet and cell phone?

I have the plague so I had my Anne call up our teen who knew this boy really well. She was ready to go off and get even. It is so difficult to talk about justice and sanity in the same breath when someone you love has been senselessly murdered. I don’t know how this is going to impact the work that we are doing in South Phoenix. I pray that it will help me see the urgency for working between Hispanics and African Americans. How is possible to hate someone so much that you are willing to risk everything to take their life for a wallet and cell phone? It won’t be long before the South Phoenix Police catch up with these teens. The reality is that regardless of what happens to them this 15 year old son, brother, friend or hommie is dead.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment