Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Spiritual Junk Food

Spiritual Junk Food? 2 Tim 4:3-4

Intro: What is your craving? I have to be honest that at times I crave a taco, hamburger or even a Sonoran Hot Dog. Is there anything wrong with wanting something different or off the wall? The reality is that for most people our diets reflect our lives. We are a nation into fast food that ends up being mostly junkfood. The problem is that we treat our spiritual lives no differently. We want a God that caters to our cravings and never says no to anything. We are flooded with too many examples in the news, movies, TV and internet that reveal the ultimate end of a junkfood life and the spiritual mess that follows.

#1. How can someone reject the real spiritual food of Christ for fast food religion?

Paul is in prison facing his death and is wanting Timothy, his special helper, to be prepared for the real world around him. The unfortunate reality for Paul and Tim is that many of their team have decided to pursue the short cuts in life. They are tired of hearing about servant leadership, sacrifice or watching Paul’s life go down. They want the good life with all of the pleasures and prestige. So it shouldn’t surprise us that there are many people today in the church who have been tricked or as Paul says have their ears tickled with a new approach. We no longer talk about sin or rebellion against God but about learning from our mistakes or even farther off that there really isn’t such a thing as right or wrong any more. We have made the gospel into moral relativism where everything is right and nothing is ever wrong. God loves everyone, there is no hell and there is no heaven.

This sounds great until the impact of this lifestyle hits home. It is one thing to think about having an affair or leaving your spouse. When you actually do it the discovery is that life is worse off and that the grass isn’t greener on the other side. How can something that is so good and right for us end up leaving us bored and dissatisfied in life? These are tough questions to answer but if we don’t we may end up no different than some of Paul’s followers who ended up getting hook on fast food that tasted great but ultimately kills them. Solomon rightly says that there is a path that seems right to a man but the end leads to death.

#2. How can I avoid becoming hooked on spiritual junk food?

I know that I have been driving over long distances and always see something that looks like water or a lake in the distance. As we get closer it never fails that the image disappears instantly. I think one of the greater needs of people is to truly pursue the truth. Paul is saying that many in his day and even more so our day have gotten hooked on myths or mirages. This is something that we make up that isn’t true but ultimately end up believing it as if it is true. Man is good at making up his own religion that caters to his own passions and needs.

I do like In n Out Burgers and whenever I am out in the East Valley and close by I am drawn to get a number 2 with onions. There is nothing wrong with getting your favorite taco, burger or dog on occasion. If this becomes your only source of food than you are in trouble. The real obstacle in life is that as long as we never really connect with the living Jesus and allow fast food religion to be our God we miss out on the best in life. I don’t mind getting a burger at BK or McDonalds but it isn’t the same as In n Out! I can play church, do good things, read the Bible and even talk to people about Christ but until I have a life transforming experience and understand the way that grace, mercy and forgiveness works I am in the dark.

Conclusion: Life is a struggle but God can help keep you on track! I think one of the things I am learning as I age is to be more honest about what I can and can’t do. I think most of us in our youth truly believe that we are invincible and immortal. I still dream big things for the kingdom and Jesus but I see that all of this still comes back to taking baby steps each day to do what is right, in the right way with Jesus interacting with me along my life journey. I need to admit that I am going to be tempted at times to take spiritual short cuts and substitute fast food for good food. I may even become flabby or lazy. The good news is that Jesus is into transforming our flab and laziness into spiritual fitness.

We need to learn from both Jesus and Paul’s example that even in the worst situation, Jesus hanging on the cross and Paul facing his execution, God is able to keep us focused on what is most important. When you allow your craving to totally take over you end up loosing your taste for what is truly good. Jesus is the ultimate bread from heaven who is able to satisfy that hunger deep down inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment