Monday, August 16, 2010

Last Minute?

I have prided myself over the years as being someone who tries to plan ahead and be on time to events, especially the ones that I have planned. God has placed me in the center of a couple of different cultures that are totally different from my personal time zone awareness. I know that being punctual for some is right up there next to being almost like God. I also know that in some cultures being late or not the first one at a party or event is not a bad thing.

So here are a couple of lessons that are helping me enjoy life more, still be productive and see people connect. I am usual not one to cancel an event or change it. Yet, I see that at times it is better to be more concerned about an individual then being on time or doing an event. I also know that it is irritating when some wants a ride and really believes that your world should revolve around them. I have also had the experience of coming to someone’s rescue only to discover that they have already gotten help and just didn’t have a phone to call – oops.

I think the real issue is how I choose to view people who are always late, slow and forgetful. It is very easy to have this superior than thou type of attitude. I slip from living by grace and mercy to being a clock-watcher. Obviously those who are timely and follow through do at times receive blessings or advantages over those who choose to snooze. I usually tell everyone if you snooze you loose or the early bird does catch the worm. None of this is really that difficult to understand until it comes to the way others choose to live.

I make it a part of my routine to drop in on lots of different people in my neighborhood on a weekly basis. It does happen that I get too busy or am gone for some reason. It is easy for some of my special friends to think that I have forgotten them. What always amazes me is the call I get from a few to say hey or how are you doing. It reminds me that others do see and care about how you choose to use your time.

It is difficult for someone who is always late to change a little much as it is difficult for me to purposely be late or slow to something. The good news is that God is never late and his timetable is always perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment