Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blessed to Be a Blessing!

One of the coolest things I get to do on occasion is to give gifts to people. It’s not that I’m rich, as I tell everyone but my father in heaven owns the cattle on a thousand hills and also all of the money in the world. It is a joy to help others when I am able to give. It is even more of a blessing when those who receive are quick to say thanks and give some out of what they have to others in need.

New City – Barrio was blessed with a gift from some friends that enabled me to give out some Thanksgiving Turkeys. So I dragged along Terrance, my son and personal attendant at times, to go shopping for turkeys. The challenge is that they are frozen and weigh about 20 pounds. So as we are checking out at Safeway and the cashier lady is able to help us because of the special discounts and then spend $100 and get a turkey free. So we slowly fill up two carts with frozen birds.

As we are standing in line getting Terrance a bus card one of his older friends from school, looks like a grandma, jokingly asks if she can have one. Then to her surprise I tell Terrance to give her one. Her eyes light up as her arm drops to the ground because of the weight of the bird.

As we drive around for the next hour giving out birds it is exciting to see the look on the faces of everyone. No one had expected anything like this so I’m thrilled to surprise everyone. I am thankful that I can go shopping again tomorrow in the morning and hand out more turkeys. It will be fun to see the look at the faces of mom’s or grandmas.

Then I get a text from a great friend and key worker who had his car vandalized with a cd player being taken. Unfortunately his insurance isn’t going to cover this L So I quickly text back and explain that we would like to help with some of the cost. He is quick to say no but I’m quicker to say Merry Christmas and let God love you.

I too love to receive in an unexpected way! This happens often with the work that we do with New City-Barrio Nuevo. I have to admit that I am spoiled by my father and in turn love to spoil others who hopefully continue the pattern for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment