Friday, November 25, 2011

Jesus and Stuff

As we rose early on Thanksgiving to get all of the turkey stuff rolling I visited my Starbucks to the cheers of the gals and the manager. I could tell something was up when one of the baristas starting talking about Jesus and Stuff. What’s funny is this one gal is Russian and has a funny accent. The topic of conversation shifted to someone having an open container in his or her vehicle and was in trouble. I do remember about making a sarcastic comment about how one of these Starbucks workers obviously is driving a BMW while I am driving my Toyota Truck.

As I looked at the gals I knew that it couldn’t be one of my Latina gals, cause she’s a great student and a Christian but whatever things do happen. So as I go to check out it is clear that it’s the Russian gal who really wanted to talk about doing community service before the middle of December. So I asked what’s with the Jesus and stuff comment. I explained that in the bigger scheme of things that Jesus was way more than stuff. Actually he is the ultimate person who is both the creator of the universe and the baby in the manager that totally changed the face of the earth.

Joking aside, which isn’t easy, I do care about this gal who is a college student and at times more on the wild side. I know she is stressed between working too much, doing school and having pressure by the parents to finish sooner than later. I gave her the parental lecture of why in the world would you drive with any container in your car, especially a BMWer. Yes the wages of sin is death or more specifically to drive with an open container will cost you a fine and hours of community service. Yet, look on the bright side you can volunteer with Dave and do some really ‘cool’ stuff – ahhh. (My wife would rebuff me for using stuff!)

My hope is that she will actually come out and help with our Christmas Party in a few weeks and discover the better side of life through giving of yourself and seeing the one who is way more than stuff – JESUS! Amazing how you can get to know people through just doing the same thing day in and day out. So don’t be upset if I am a little ticked if you put Jesus and stuff in the same sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment