Monday, November 21, 2011

Persevere

It shouldn’t be a surprise when I preach/teach on a topic and then see it lived out in my life. I have just starting going through James, which is a very practical down to earth letter that talks about real life and how to face horrible circumstances. So this week I am looking at just one verse that talks about perseverance and the blessing of staying the course. I really wanted my group to see the importance of doing more than just finishing. Hanging on isn’t good enough because God wants us to finish well and impact the lives of those around us, which gives him the glory.

I have been giving presentations to a few different churches or groups over the last couple of weeks. It is always interesting to reflect on what is really happening in my life as I talk about our youth and seniors and the many volunteers that help us show God’s incredible love and mercy. I like having benchmarks that give a sense of progress or the clear need to rethink what we are doing.

We live in an economically depressed area where many are unemployed and most of those we are around live on fixed incomes or welfare. It is easy for me when I make so much to at times talk down to those that are living hand to mouth. As I was sharing about community work at a Scottsdale Church it struck me how comfortable all of us are. I joked around and made the statement that Jesus came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. As I finished up, the leader asked what were our real needs. I had to be honest and said that it always comes back to resources that are both people time relationships and financial resources. I attempted to explain what it would be like if you were homeless living between friends or my house.

The response of this early morning group was very encouraging. Yet, as I was finishing I gave a challenge in that it is easy to talk about doing something and still go back to your comfortable house, nice car, fancy toys and means to do anything within reason. So how are you going to be different tomorrow? What I really need are people to purposely dive into what we are doing and become part of the life of a young person or grandma. The reality for many is that there won’t be a Christmas.

I had to be honest with the group and explain that my support is totally faith focused. I have been blessed to have significant giving from a few sources that won’t last forever. Especially one that has decreased to almost nothing that enabled me to start. So I truly need individuals and churches to step up and help. I personally know that the Christmas Season is when most give in a significant way. So I often catch myself anxiously waiting for the mailperson to come and see if there is a check in the mail.

I know that too often resources become the key to judging whether an organization is healthy and doing the right things. So what about the little churches and what I call mom/pop types that are always helping sacrificially that don’t have anything? So am I really a better person or organization, when someone sends a huge gift? It would be so easy to become arrogant or conceited, yet Jesus applauds the widow who gives pennies in contrast to the rich religious leaders who give much but not from their heart. So I have to confess that I inwardly mocked the monthly gift drawn directly from this person’s account for $7.50 a month. Yet, as I have received very large gifts it strikes me that God is using all means to accomplish his purpose in my life. I am trying to learn to be thankful for all things regardless of the timing or size.

No comments:

Post a Comment