Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Roller Coaster Life?

Last night we went out for dinner with some friends we hadn’t seen in at least 10 years. I had selected our destination and as Anne and I sat at our table it was exciting to see the ‘tall’ people from Canada approach. It was funny in that the three couples that met didn’t look much different, yet the journeys we all have been through have significantly impacted our lives. I had selected one of the more popular downtown retro destinations for dinner. It was an excellent choice, especially the crepes for dessert.

I know that it is easy at times to allow circumstances, which are life and important to become much bigger than they really are. So as we are all talking about our kids, who are now adults, we reflect on the simple fact that really none of them are angels and most don’t seem to care when they are in our presence about wowing us but when they are with someone else they become rock stars that will do anything to help or pick up the slack. As I listen to a story shared by one of our close friends about my son I am overwhelmed. My son gets special tickets to the Fiesta Bowl for our older friend, who had attended the college in the bowl. As I listened to the saga, that really was worthy of YouTube or the evening news, I am surprised about the length my son went to get our older friend and his son into this game.

As the three couples talk about their journeys I am surprised as to how easy it is to think that you have the ‘worst’ story about your family or circumstances. It helped all of us see that in the bigger picture God is in control and that ultimately the amazing grace that Newton expressed in that classic hymn had the backdrop of a slave trader who did horrible things and experienced mercy and forgiveness. Our hope as we shared was that our kids, now real adults, would eventually get it and be the person God wants them to be.

As I have spent the last 3 months on a roller coaster where at times I think it can only get worse, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I know that hope is something that isn’t easy to understand or explain. I may look like someone who is totally laid back and not into making order or appearance important but I do care about pursuing excellence and connecting with people through the Gospel. I am thrilled to have a place for my dad to live that can really be home. I know that there isn’t a perfect place but this will come close. I truly want the best for him so he can live his life in a peaceful centered environment without any more drama.

As we finished our amazing dinner with our friends we had one of the servers take pictures. It was an almost perfect night being able to catch up, enjoy great food and experience the awesome Arizona weather when the rest of the country is in snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment