Monday, May 21, 2012

Bad Days Happen


I have to admit that on occasion I have what would be called a bad day. Yeah, Dave experiences real life with bad days. I know there are some that a bad hair day would be enough to send you over the edge but I’m blessed to have hair that is always just right. (My wife is jealous because she’ll spend at least 30 minutes messing with hers.) I have been so blessed with many special friends who have become close to me and help out in a variety of ways with New City – Barrio Nuevo. We have received tickets to different events that are gifts, which obviously are free to us but cost someone real cash. We had been asked to see a CYT performance of Alice, i.e. Alice in Wonderland, at a very nice Art Center. I usually jump at the chance but then I am a little cautious because I don’t like ending up in two different scenarios, where we have too many show up for an event and I have to say no to a few or a lot or I ask for more tickets then I need and have extras which someone else could have used.

This last week Anne and I had been gone doing my Great Aunt’s Funeral in St. Louis. It was an incredible trip connecting with a couple of my cousins and my brother was able to come also. What wasn’t cool and reminders of the brokenness of people was that I couldn’t talk with or see one of my mom’s brothers. I was hurt and upset but as we talked with my cousins it was obvious that part of my mom’s family was having ongoing feuds. So as I reminded my group via text about the play I received an assortment of text saying YES we want to go and invite friends or a younger family member. So I assumed that I could fill 50 seats easily and probably do 60.

We come home and I end up volunteering to take one of my close friend’s kids to see their cousin’s dance performance on Saturday morning. I assumed that this would be a stress free event. We would show up to a school auditorium, watch the performance for thirty minutes and then be gone and my Saturday morning wouldn’t be consumed beyond like 9:30-10:00am. I pick up grandma and the little kids. As we arrive at this school it is clear that this isn’t a one-school performance but a huge Community Fair that includes lots of schools and local businesses. It also becomes clear that arriving at 8am was a waste of time because the cousin wasn’t coming until 9:30.

I don’t know whether I’m complaining or just painting a picture of how easy it is at times to have a bad day, which wasn’t part of the plan. We end up playing on the playground for about 15 minutes and then I realize, I don’t want to admit, but the grandma who is with us starts looking for one of the kids who I assumed was with her mom and not us. We had gotten into my little van and it was clear that this little one wasn’t there. So this is why grandma is looking around and asking for help with other Hispanic Grandmas.

I really hadn’t planned being part of the evening news as there began a search for a missing child. My good friend who I am helping out had the morning from hell. His truck, which he had just invested a huge amount of time and money to get it seaworthy or able to pass emissions, decided to ‘crap’ out again. The new fuel pump decided to give up the ‘ghost’. So I know that he was bent out of shape. We had already talked a little. So when I had to call and ask the obvious question he gave me the answer that I didn’t want to hear, the little girl was at home alone. Most likely she was still sound asleep in bed or watching the T.V. So my friend got permission to fly home which I’m sure was like a 5-10 minute drive. She was safe and sound at home. The challenge for me was that the police had already asked me; understand this was a large community event with lots of local police showing off their swat team gear, whether this little girl was ok. I lied and said yeah we are good.

Everything calmed down as I told  grandma what had happened and we watched the cousin’s dance performance. It was incredible and the memory of what had just happened seemed to fade or at least I pretended to let it fade. As we are watching these little kids, who are dressed in Mexican dress, do their numbers it is like being in another world far removed from Phoenix. My phone starts to receive texts from different teens and adult saying that they can’t make it to the play. My blood pressure is starting to rise as I try not to lose it with a few who had made commitments and now at the last minute had something else they perceived as more important.

I have too much experience with this type of thing and know in the end it all works out. Yet, I did want to impress my friends who had gotten the tickets that I would have a real list of who was going and that it would be a relatively easy process to pick up our group. I make a few phone calls and get a few more to come and then more texts come about who can’t go now because of birthday parties or family events. My special friend who is donating the tickets texts and says we should be there early and I remind him that we will meet at 1 and it will be ok. Yet, he shows up more like 15 minutes late. The different drivers show up with their groups and we are almost ready to blast off. As one of my faithful drives relates the fact that the family he was supposed to get wasn’t ready and had forgotten about the play. I’m fuming at this point because of the kids in this family at texted me numerous times in the morning.

I decide to not let this totally rob my joy so we load up the vehicles and make our trek to see Alice. I didn’t know what to expect. I had probably 10 little kids that could possibly sit for an hour but not 2 hours unless this is something special. As the musical begins it is clear that our kids are going to be mesmerized by Alice, the sets, the songs, which are more rockish and then the story itself. My little friend next to me would keep asking when are they going to dance again, when are they going to dance again.

It was a long play but the action and continual change of sets keep you glued to your seat. The story itself was enough to help even an old guy like me see my need to be myself and not think being a rock star is better. As the play finishes and obviously Alice and a few others receive a standing ovation we are ready for home. My friends who had donated the tickets I now come to understand had personally done all of the sets or props. Wow – this was like months worth of work. As we take pictures of our group I’m humbled to be blessed with such amazing friends. They are my heroes for the day which wasn’t the best till then.

We drive home without any incidents and drop everyone off except for a couple of our guys who live in a group home. Typically they end up at our house for at least an hour waiting for their ride. My day ends with an incredible conversation with these 2 older teens about real life, Jesus, making the tough decisions and the call for action today. What a way to finish off what started off as a nightmare for my good friend and a little girl who is now safe at home with her family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment