Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Tribute to my Aunt Alice who lived to almost 107!


I have to admit that I sometimes don’t like answering my cell. I know that God crafted voice mail to allow me to ‘filter’ what calls I should respond to and others that can wait. My real reason for not always being quick to respond to certain callers is that I know they might be the bearers of ‘bad news’. I will never forget the call from my Dad at 3AM, I usually don’t answer at that hour, but I knew most likely it was the inevitable call about my mom’s passing. As I answered it was my dad and I knew exactly what he was going to say. Yet, as I listened it was definitely a sad call but glorious in the way that my dad shared the story. He was on a spiritual high that I know was a byproduct of the heavenly host taking my mom to her real home. My dad was on a spiritual high for weeks following. I instead was in tears and heart broken. (Tears continue to come even five years after her leaving.)

I had been playing phone tag with a new friend whose cell is from St. Louis MO. He and his wife are going to help us in the summer as they get a better sense of God’s direction in their lives. So when I saw the 314 area code, I assumed it might be from him. Yet, as I go back to respond, I was in the middle of doing my monthly update, I realize that it is from my Aunt Elaine. I know that the news she has to share is about our Aunt Alice who is 106 ready to turn in a week 107. I had been expecting this call actually for the last couple of years. Al seemed to stare death in the face and continue to win.

I do feel horrible, even though my Aunt rebuked me, for not coming out to see AL over the last few years. I was blessed to see her consistently for a couple of years when I was first doing networking with New City Fellowship in St. Louis. I had the great excuse to go out four times over a year or so and always would go see her. I am so glad that my parents made one last trip before my mom’s health went totally down. It gave me an opportunity to see St. Louis through the eyes of my mom and dad.

As I write this tribute to Al it’s not that I saw her that often through out my 58 years. She was always someone who chose, whether I did or not, to stay in touch. She was the one who sent Birthday Cards, Christmas Cards and other occasions type of cards that I know kept Hallmark in business during her life time. Her sister, my Grandma Miller, would come out every year for a few week’s visit. So Grandma Miller was truly part of my life. I can remember a few times when really young going to their old Province house that was then in a bad neighborhood. I won’t repeat some of the things that I learned about racial strife through this experience, but it did open my eyes and in many ways has given me a passion for being part of racial reconciliation in action.

Al’s claim to fame, this really is something worth bragging about, was being a quilter. I didn’t know this until our visit to St. Louis with my mom, dad and my family. Elaine, who had been her home for most of her life since the death of my Grandma Miller, is the one who showed us Al’s masterpiece. I’m not much of a crafts person, I do love photography, so I had little appreciation for the amount of time that is required to plan out a quilt and then actually do it. Al had designed a quilt that was a deck of cards. I have no clue as to why she would have done this, maybe she loved playing cards or…. Yet, the precision in which this quilt was put together was totally amazing!

Elaine had sent pictures to a quilting magazine that ultimately did an article about Al and the quilt, which is now famous and will be in some quilting museum. The amazing part in my life with Al was that she cared and never stopped. I can’t say this with other of my relatives because there have always issues that have separated us for the silly things in life. I can remember doing the funeral for Grandma Dotson and could see the lines drawn in the group that attended by how they chose to sit in the funeral home. I can laugh at this now but looking back it wasn’t something laughable.

Al was given a green thumb by God, the master gardener and you could see it in the garden that was always planted in her and Mil’s backyard or for the last 30 years in Elaine’s backyard. I will always remember the squirrels and cardinals that would always flock to the back porch in Elaine and Jack’s house. Al had this special sense about her that seemed to draw an assortment of animals. I have memories of her with peanuts in her mouth that both birds and squirrels would retrieve!

I didn’t mention that Al was a rather small person, actually even smaller than my Heather or Anne. I know that the adage that great thing comes in small packages was made for her. She always had a smile on her face and something about her that would draw you to her. She was the type of person that would always be quick to help or ask if there was anything she could do for you. My only regret in life is that I couldn’t be around her more so my kids could have some of the green thumb rub off. My Anne and I are animal people so they all have the animal knack as part of their DNA.

My dad grew up between two families where he at times was left out. I know that my dad as he got older most likely has had Dementia for the last 15 years or so, which translates into him not being the easiest person to be around when he disagreed with you. I mention this to highlight the heart and commitment of Elaine, my dad’s sister, who adored and looked up to her older brother, even though he left home when she was still very young. My dad turned into a Bible thumping right wing type and my aunt was the opposite, which made it at times difficult for real communication. I also have to admit that I react to the ‘Ditto Heads’ out there in radio land. Alice seemed to be the one that could draw us together regardless of our religious or political bias.

As I arrange my Southwest Flight for next week I don’t know who will be at Al’s funeral? There are at least four or five that are still alive. I know that my Heather would love to come. I forgot to mention that one of Elaine’s loves has been to trace the family history of the Provience Family for generations past. My Heather has also developed an interest in doing genealogical work for our families.

I will always remember Al’s smile, her big glasses and her frail frame but sturdy side that made her a great cook, gardener and lover of God’s amazing creation in her backyard! I will miss my special Aunt and Friend, Alice Provience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment