Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dave's Annoyed!


I will be the first to admit that I’m a zealous person who will push my causes at any time, day or hour. I understand that not everyone will share a similar passion and that at times I will have to back down or walk away. I do get a little ticked at one group of religious zealots who hang outside of my Starbucks at the early hour of the morning.

Yesterday I’m accosted in the parking lot. I try not to overact to my personal views of this organization. I have studied this group a bunch over the last 30 years. I took Biblical languages in seminary and have an adequate understanding of some key verses or typically interpretation principles. Yet, regardless of what I say these older ladies are always out pushing their literature.

I even asked one recently if she would go to heaven if she died tonight. This specific group believes that only a small group, 144,000, will make it to heaven’s gate but the rest will inherit the earth. I shared the fact that I had assurance that I would go to heaven if I died tonight but she came back quickly with saying she didn’t want to go to heaven but live on the earth. I didn’t say much but thought to myself go figure.

I know that it is easy for any person or group to believe beyond any doubt that they are correct in their worldviews and that I am out to lunch. So what do you do when you clash with someone and their isn’t any hope for resolve? I’m sitting in my Starbucks blogging and one of the baristas, who is part of this group, is dressed for his morning activities and not serving up coffee or latte’s. I jokingly talk about his great selection of wardrobe but take issue with his theological views and somewhat manipulative ways.

I know that I can joke with this one guy and it is fun but the ultimately reality is that the issues we are talking about are important and might end up being an eternal discussion. What if I’m totally out to lunch or what if these older ladies who get up at 5am are off? I know that we live in a day and age when truth is separated into categories such as scientific or religious. I know that in the academic context that most discussions about spiritual things are viewed as out of touch or just plain false.

I know that I will continue to spar with my religious zealot friends who wait outside my Starbucks. I also know that I will find ways to make in roads into the intellectual community of today that continues to boast about absolute truth when in reality isn’t much different from the religious communities paradigm of faith, reason and belief system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment