Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Name Tags


This last Saturday we did a lunch for our homeless friends that are in the downtown area of Phoenix around all of the various shelters. I have done this often over the last 6 years and actually in Phoenix and over the last 30 years with our experiences in San Diego in the early 80’s. We had a great turn out of volunteers. I always have nametags for those who are helping out. Yet, it dawned on me that I needed to have nametags for our friends on the street. How in the world am I going to help them feel loved and be able to hear their story if I don’t know their names?

It took our crew of 70 plus volunteers about an hour to get our lunch, hygiene bags and candy bags ready to be handed out. I always have extra nametags and markers so I had some of my teens walk down our orderly line of street friends and had each of them put on nametags. All of a sudden I could glance at someone and start talking with them in a real personal fashion.

My hope each time we do this is to give out a great meal, show kindness and courtesy to many who have been abused and neglected. I know that remembering a person’s name is really important. It is always a surprise for me when someone comes up to me who I don’t remember their name but recognize them and they are quick to say hey DAVE how are you doing. I usually feel like an idiot at times.

We were able to serve over 300 of our friends during a two-hour period of time. It was during this time that many of our volunteers were also able to talk with a few of these street friends. I was fortunate to talk to a few guys and an older lady. Everyone was very polite and friendly and obviously desirous of conversing. I enjoyed listening to a few stories. I was heartbroken by the circumstances of many that we gave lunch and extras to help. They were friendless and in tough circumstances that aren’t easily fixed.

I have been taught to always look at a person when I hear their name and repeat it often to make sure it is embedded in my memory. I will remember from this last Saturday: Winslow, Martin, Omar and Sandy. I hope that they will remember me and give me a call so that I might be able to give them some encouragement and hear how they are doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment