Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tests


I’m always enamored with how big business and the media are so quick to judge someone and call in the death squad because of the perception of prevailing culture and society. I totally understand that it is near impossible for a company like Apple, Samsung or one of the oil giants to continue to have products that bring the future into the present. Yet, as I work with teens real life comes back to certain tests we take that determine what we can or can’t do.

I had one teen this week that had practiced driving over the last few weeks and believed he was ready to do his driving test. My wife had graciously helped him out a few times and would admit that he wasn’t the best driver in South Phoenix but obviously there are many not as competent as him. He passed and quickly texted me a picture of his new found love, an Arizona Driver’s License. I had another teen also remark that they flunked the written test and didn’t get their permit. This had stalled their life and for some reason hadn’t taken the test again.

I just finished doing a presentation before a rotary club because of a new friend I had met six weeks ago. I guess I passed the test of first impression because my new friend that I met at Starbucks invited me to attend his club. I brought along with me a group of friends who did most of the talking. It was a delightful morning that finished with nice goodbyes that hopefully will see this group choose to be more involved in under resourced neighborhoods.

I know that it is so easy to misjudge someone or an organization because of bad first impressions or because of actually messing up. I will be the first to admit that no one is ever on top of their ‘game’ all of the time. I knew that I had better invite a few friends to come this morning because I have a cold and wouldn’t be at my best. The real reason is that I’m learning that life isn’t all about me and what I do, but what happens, when we work together as a team. The impact of servant leadership is capable of changing the world, especially when it isn’t all about me and what I get out of it.

The real test is whether I aspire to be a leader who understands the power of grace, mercy and forgiveness in all contexts. I know that most in today’s business and leadership circles do talk about management style that is much more relationship driven and will listen to the ‘little person’. I know that most people who I choose to be around have a genuine interest in the kids, teens and seniors who are part of our New City family. The challenge is whether I’m more interested in what’s in it for me or a different focus of seeing how much have myself can I give away.

One of the most important aspects of growing up is figuring how it is more important to give and be a resource then be into accounting how much you get in return for all of your efforts. I know that those who help out with doing neighborhood work do desire to see positive results that are reflected in changed lives, a cleaned up neighborhood and ultimately a family put back together.

Yes, I do read social media and attempt to read everything with a ‘grain of salt’. I always chuckle when one of my 20 something’s acts as if everything on the Internet has to be 100% true. I know even the most reliable sources can be wrong at times. I know that many of my students will have taken the AIMS test this week and the results will have a definite impact on their lives. Some will have to take these tests again until they pass. Others will have come close to acing these tests and will get special interest from high academic institutions.

The real test in life isn’t how many friends I have on Facebook or how many connections I have on LinkedIn. What’s more important is how I treat that person I don’t know who is waiting in line with me at Starbucks, McDonalds or at the Doctor’s office. It is so easy to be critical because of how a person dresses, looks or smells. I hope that I can be more gracious in how I test those around me that I don’t know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment