Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Power of Words or Be More Creative in What You Say!


I don’t think it should take too much common sense to understand the power of your tongue. I can remember as a young teen being at a Boy Scout Campout where a few of us let out a few rather vulgar phrases into the night air only to be reprimanded by our Scout Leader. I can reflect on asking Ron, our leader, what was the big deal because we had often heard him express himself in a similar fashion. I was raised in a home where respect and talking with a normal tone with uplifting expressions was considered the standard.

Yet, as I reflect over my college years, doing construction work and now having lived in the inner city over the last 7 years there is a genuine fascination with foul language with most. I can’t fathom that the F-bomb has taken first place in our typical vocabulary choices for interacting with our friends forget picking on those we can’t stand. I get my button pushed when I see a little 7 year screaming at someone with using a word to describe their racial background attached to the F-word. How is it possible for this little guy or gal to know these terms and how to use them?

I always chuckle when my amazing wife will get her button pushed by one of our teens or an adult that is going off on someone and she will end up screaming out something like get a life and increase your vocab! I know that increasing someone’s vocab choices requires either reading or listening to someone who has an extraordinary background. I have to admit that I at times pride myself on expanding my word choice to show others how shallow they are to stick with the normal F-bomb expressions or take the Divine Name in vain.

I do react to racist expressions that don’t make any sense at all. I can remember as a 7 year old being instructed by one of my grandparents about how terrible a certain race happen to be and then be given a variety of terms to describe them. I can laugh looking back at my dad’s reaction to grandma but to him it was totally demeaning and inappropriate for grandma to do this. I know that there is power in words to put a person down or to elevate them to be positive and capable of rocking the world.

Why do we tend to always gravitate to trash talk when we are around friends? I’m always surprised when a coach is fined some incredible amount because of foul language when the reality is that most athletes and coaches have horrible demeaning expressions they use to get their opponent to react on game day. I was ready to lose it one day while driving a group of teens home when one of the guys, a visitor, didn’t seem to know how to talk without using the F-bomb every other word. I tried to get this teen to understand that his foul mouth didn’t add anything to the conversation and definitely didn’t make him any more attractive to any of the girls.

The opportunity as I see it is for those who have a positive outlook on life to express themselves louder and more pointedly then those with trash mouths. I like how the Letter of James in the Bible describes how such a small instrument the tongue happens to be and how it can either cause great good or great evil. It does matter not only what we say but also how we say it because our expressions will influences those around us. So let’s ban the F-bomb expressions and come out with something more witty and thought provoking instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment