Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Boys will be boys?


I can remember when my Anne was ready to explode after our son shoplifted some candy and the owner of the store wasn’t upset and didn’t see the need to do anything. I can remember the person’s response to why it wasn’t a big deal, ‘Boys will be boys!’ My son got the sternest lecture of his life that day. I’m glad that my mom never caught me in the act of stealing. I unfortunately was too good at lifting things so I never got caught but saw the writing on the wall when a good friend finally pushed the envelope and tried to steal something by himself without our group watching and distracting the owner of the music store.

I know that I take a risk with a bunch little guys and some teen guys that see nothing wrong with taking a piece of candy or a drink. If they get away with it they think that it is perfectly ok to steal. God forbid that they actually get caught in the act and get in real trouble. We had just finished swimming at Pecos Pool. It was a perfect day because the temperatures where closer to 100 then 110. Sometimes I will take the group to Circle K if they have behaved themselves. Today was a good day at the pool without any incidents at all.

I know the owner of the Circle K wants our business when we pull up with 40-50 buying something all at once. Today I made the rule that it was only drinks no more candy, donuts or whatever. This didn’t go over well with a few because they were hungry and wanted some munchies. The last week had a couple of gals who attempted to exceed the $1 limit on a special candy bar. As I was finishing the last group and was ready to go home when one of the cashiers asks if he can talk to me. I knew that he was going to say. I listened and the guy was almost apologetic for the fact that a couple of my young guys had taken suckers. I quickly went back to the van and grabbed the two who had been identified.

I had them come out of the van and explained the ramifications for stealing. We went back to the store and I had each of them apologize and then paid the cashier for what they had eaten without paying. I knew that I had to get these guys’ attention if I was going to make this a learning curve in the right direction. I didn’t want them to get away with this and assume that next time it would be even easier. I followed the first guy into his house and explained what he was going to have to do, write an apology letter and take it back. I gave the same spiel to the other guys who were dropped off a few minutes later.

I know that I can’t force them to do much but hope that this close brush with the law and getting grounded forever is huge to them. I can remember how proud all of us were when we got to the point where stealing was way to easy. I’m glad that my little guys got caught and I was able to talk to each of them. Now the hard part not over judging them or under judging them but helping them suffer a little with the consequences of their choices. The next time this happens it could be an owner who is fed up with shoplifters and has a gun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment