Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Innovation?


Yes I have to confess to being an Apple addict, as my wife would say. This goes even further when I catch one of my teen guys watching the WWDC 2013 conference via the Apple Site. I chuckle when I get a text showing the new IOS and OS software revamps that ultimately will change our lives or will it? I especially appreciated the various blogs and tech articles about how Apple how lost it because they hadn’t reinvented the wheel in the last 8 months since the Mini-iPad was showcased.

I know that it is difficult to sometimes admit that the future isn’t always something that is beyond our wildest dreams or imagination but maybe sometimes it’s doing the same thing but in an extra-ordinary fashion. I have chuckled at the various ads that mock different Apple products. I will be the first to admit that there isn’t a perfect anything out there that will satisfy my every whim or lust at the present. The challenge is that our culture has almost taught us to be dissatisfied with what we have in front of our faces.

I understand that dreaming, branding and vision have become almost a cult in our culture. I also admit that failure is so much a part of figuring out what is next that it isn’t always easy to keep trying. I know that both Henry Ford and Thomas Edison would be literally blown away by the advancement of modern day technology, yet both of them learned the simple lesson of perseverance. Winners never quit and losers always quit. I do understand from my youth sports experience that learning to be a gracious loser is very much an important life lesson. It is easy to win and act and believe as if you are better than the other teams. The reality for most of us is that we are not going to always be winners and we won’t figure out something the first time we do it. (Yes, I will have to watch a high tech video to better understand the IOS 7 or the OS Maverick and actually be able to use it to my advantage.)

I always chuckle when I get a text from one of my non-high tech pastor friends. He prides himself, until recently, in choosing to avoid smart phones and social media. Yet, the reality for all of us old guys is that for us to stay in touch with our kids and definitely our future grand kids high tech life will be part of that expression. I have to remind myself that yes texting is quicker and easier but real face time communication is preferable. Yes, I confess to the fact that I won’t always answer a number on my iPhone that I don’t’ recognize.

The highlight of watching the WWDC 2013 for me was listening to one of the Apple Gurus, Phil, give a rather interesting comment back to the naysayers that want to say that Apple died with their founding master, Steve Jobs. When he was introducing the latest Mac Pro with all the greatest innovation and a reduction in size that is unbelievable he said something hilarious – we don’t do innovation then he mentioned his ‘posterior’ and burst into laughter with the 1,000’s at the conference.

I know that anyone who has studied the pyramids in Egypt or in Latin America will be dumbfounded to understand how such a supposed uncivilized people could build such an amazing structure! Here is innovation and creativity that goes beyond our high tech craze of today. I think too many really believe that there isn’t anything from the past that can have substance or relevance in our high tech age. I’m humbled as a student both of history, philosophy, science and theology to see that the ancient truths come back to guide in ways that are even more important than the latest IOS update or windows 8 or whatever that is being pushed.

I think the important lesson to be learned is to understand the importance of not totally obsessing over the latest and supposed greatest advances without understanding the basic elements of what makes life unique, refreshing, exciting and also frustrating. I’m amazed that our high tech world can’t live together. We are in the middle of a NSA battle over privacy with our beloved texts and cell phone calls. I was reminded last night about the importance of friendship and servant leadership when a family came over to our house at 8pm with cleaning equipment. They understood that my wife, who just had surgery, wasn’t capable of doing housework and needed help. Yes, they could have used some high tech vacuum or mop like device but instead used common sense, elbow grease and TLC to impact our lives.

Yes, I will most likely get the latest iPad Mini when it comes out. I can remember getting the first iPhone but I didn’t wait in line for hours for any of the Apple products. What becomes more important is making technology serve my family, those I care about and myself. Innovation should give me more time with those I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment