Friday, October 18, 2013

How Do You Summarize a Person's Life?


I have to be honest and admit that I wasn’t prepared for my dad’s death this last week. I have had the privilege of being his caretaker, advocate and special friend over the last 3 years. I had been told by my dad’s nurse and others involved that his Dementia had taken its toll and his continued weight loss and OCD from his disease would eventually take his life. I had taken my dad out last week two different times to get a milkshake and go to the park to enjoy watching the families with kids that are out and the various ducks that would land in the lake. Yet, the call I received from the Hospice Nurse the following day I couldn’t believe, my dad wasn’t doing well and I had better come to his Care Facility.

I struggled the night before he died thinking I had better rush off to Clare Bridge to see him, yet, Anne had worked that day and wasn’t finished until 5pm and I had a life group that was going to happen in a few hours. I can remember waking up last Friday morning and wondering what was going to happen? I had called the Funeral Home around the corner from us to make arrangements and had an appointment for 1pm. We walked the dogs early that morning and I went to see someone at 7am knowing that I couldn’t see my dad before 9am. Providentially the person I was going to meet didn’t wake up so I just got coffee and did my blog and then left.

I have been around plenty of friends both young and old who had died that I knew what to expect.  Yet, that hadn’t prepared me for what I was going to see that morning as my dad lye on his bed letting go of his life. I had watched my mother die a slow death over a couple of years from cancer ravaging her body yet, my dad was always the strong one that worked out and was usually in amazing condition. Yet, what I saw lying in that bed was a man that was frail, skin and bones and fading away. I wasn’t prepared for seeing my dad prone on his bed in a skelital state that helped me better understand that death and new life were around the corner.

I had texted everyone the day before to explain that Grandpa was failing and that it was best to come and see him on Friday or Saturday. I had naively said that we would do a family goodbye with Grandpa at our side on Sunday when my brother Mark could join us. I had little sense that my dad was holding on for my other brother Scott and his family to be at his side. I was thrilled that my older daughter Heather and her Jeff were at Grandpa’s side at dinnertime. My Anne was on call that night at the Hospital so she had to leave and left us at his side.

I left to give my Heather and Jeff an opportunity to say their goodbye to Grandpa. I had little comprehension that my dad would be heavenly bound in hours. Fortunately my brother Scott, his Veronica and their kids, Aaron and Marissa made it to his side around 10pm. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my dad’s Care Givers come that late to say goodbye. I was even more pleased to have my son and his wife come around the same time. I explained to Scott and family Grandpa’s condition that wasn’t very good. They had just seen Dad a few weeks before at my birthday.
I choose to do a short prayer time and Scripture reading for my dad. I read from Psalm 23, one of Grandpa’s favorite passages and then prayed that the Lord would take Grandpa peacefully. I decided to just take my nephew and niece with me and let my Scott and Veronica be with Dad. Selfishly I wanted my Dad to last for my other brother to arrive on Sunday morning. I have memories of my Dad’s call around 3am on a Thursday morning to tell me that his Lady had left for heaven. It was an amazing experience because I could tell that my Dad had a glimpse of heaven during mom’s entrance to the Kingdom of God.

I had stopped by McDonalds to get Aaron and Marissa something to eat after they had driven straight from San Diego to Grandpa’s home. It was close to midnight when we arrived home. I attempted to get these teens in bed and allow myself a chance to collapse on my bed without my Anne at my side. I had hoped that I could actually fall asleep. Yet, I slipped in and out of real sleep only to awake to my phone’s ring tone of How to Save a Life. It was my Scott saying Dad had just passed into eternity. It was close to 2am and I said I would get dressed and be there.

As I drove in darkness I didn’t know what to expect with my Scott and Veronica. I had already cried earlier in the day when my dad had told me goodbye by grabbing my hand and calling me by name and then told me he loved me and thanked me for caring for him. I know that moment will be engraved in my mind’s eye until I join him in eternity. I went to dad and touched him and kissed his forehead. I knew that my dad was gone and what was left behind was just an earthly body that had suffered over the last 5 years from a disease that didn’t make any sense. He had lived a good long life and had left without much suffering in contrast to his Lady’s death which was horrible filled with ongoing sickness from a cancer that required treatment that killed both the cancer and her body.

I told my Scott and Veronica to go ahead and leave. I would wait for both the Hospice Nurse and the transport person. The nurse arrived before they left and declared my father dead at 2:34 am. I knew that seeing dad’s body leave on a gurney wasn’t something that Veronica needed to see. So I told them I would see them back home in an hour or so. It was another 30 minutes before the transport showed up. He assured me that he would take good care of my dad. I watched as he put my dad on this stretcher and then covered him with a blanket. It was only minutes before Dad was placed in the back of this van. As it drove off I knew that a part of my life, which I had taken for granite, was gone.

The drive back to my house allowed me to stop via a Starbucks to get something to drink but more so to give me some time to adjust to what had just happened. It is so easy to be selfish about whether a person lives an extra few days or weeks and consider what was best for them. It was time for my dad to leave this earthly life of not having a mind that worked. The last couple of times I was with Dad that week he could barely crawl onto his wheel chair. I had never seen Dad not quickly down his milkshake but these last two times being with him he took a couple of sips and then stopped.
My hope was that I could honor my father in how we said our goodbyes that following morning as a family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment