Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Waiting for life to happen?


Are you waiting for the pieces to the puzzle of your life to fall into place? I know that often the myth that the grass is greener on the other side can be in the back of your mind. I confess that too often I really believe that I can’t live without the latest apple device and in the past it would have been a newer vehicle. There is a movement among many to become more minimalistic in their approach to living. I find myself often between different groups of friends that represent a large spectrum of life choices.

I just finished having coffee with a good friend who also is learning to be content in present circumstances but still dreams about what the future may hold. I do a guy’s group where we talk about real life issues all of the time. Last night I talked about two types of guys; those that are waiting for life to happen and those that make life happen. We discussed what makes a person wait for the proverbial pot of gold to drop out of the sky or mommy and daddy to do everything for them. We also talked about the characteristics of those who seem to be ahead of the curve and seem to make life come together. The question is what type of person are you today and whom do you want to be more like tomorrow?

As we dove into this topic of waiting or doing it was obvious that this isn’t necessarily related to age or experience in life. It should be the case that older individuals should have more life experience that helps them understand that waiting or being in neutral doesn’t create opportunities. We also reflected on the fact that being busy for the sake of being busy isn’t good either. I was impressed with the discussion on having goals and expectations for what is happening today and what will happen tomorrow.

Part of the ongoing dialogue I’m having with different groups and individuals is how one continues to dream in life, make goals, thinks outside the box and makes little steps to see life happen. I know that too often it is easy for me to be the idea guy but not totally be engaged with my own thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment