Friday, November 8, 2013

Be a Bulldog!

I think everyone has heard the old adage that persistence, patience and being like a bulldog eventually pays off! I am around youth and adults that have been viewed as on the fringe in life and usually are perceived as not capable of succeeding. Often those in positions of authority do actually take advantage or ignore those in these types of situations that have legitimate needs. I’m so proud of one of my key volunteers that is such an amazing example of someone that didn’t allow her circumstances to stop her from accomplishing her goals.

My close friend was born in Mexico and was snuck across the border as a little kid who didn’t understand the dynamic of what was happening. Her family had been involved with doing farm and ranch work which all of a sudden stopped because of a draught and ongoing dust storms. Her dad found a family on the other side of the border in Arizona that was willing to give them an opportunity for a new life. My friend’s dad easily got across the board in the late 80’s and provided the means for his family to have a new life.

The point of my blog isn’t to argue about immigration but to see how being persistent and patient in the long run pays off. This isn’t to say that this is an easy path to pursue. The reality is that most in my friend’s situation usually quit after a few years. Yet, as my friend shared last night with a group of listening teens and college students it took being like a bulldog to eventually see her dream become a reality. As my friend shared about the culture of her family, especially her dad, he is first generation Mexican and would typically be someone that saw getting a job as being more important than finishing high school or going to college. Yet, because of his tough circumstances in life he knew that his kids would need a real education to pursue a better life.

My friend’s story revolves around her choice to join the Army after graduating from high school. The difficulty, which I didn’t realize, was that she wasn’t a citizen but a legal resident while she served her country. She actually served 2 tours of duty in a war zone. Yet, as she attempted to pursue her citizenship it fell on flat ears. The unfortunate fact was that serving overseas meant she wasn’t capable of applying for citizenship or even able to maintain her green card status.

After she got out of the reserves she landed a great job with Boeing doing exactly the same thing she did in the army. The difficulty was that after 9/11 it was no longer an automatic assumption that serving in the military would get you your citizenship. I know that I’m known for not ever quitting on anyone regardless the circumstances. I truly believe that God is more than capable of redeeming anyone. My friend truly reflects the end result of what happens when you keep going and don’t stop!

The highlight of her story was that after not getting any real help with her citizenship she chooses to camp out on the doorstep of Senator McCain. I assume that most would perceive the Senator as the ultimate BULLDOG. Yet, his secretary ignored my friend’s presence in his office for a full day. Eventually my friend was able to corner Mr. Bulldog and get his attention. I know that this took a lot of courage that did come out of real frustration with nothing happening for too long for someone that put her life on the line. The great news was that within a few weeks the Senator did his thing and she was now a citizen of the U.S.A.!


I’m so proud of my friend who will graduate in May with her degree from ASU after working full time and helping our kids and teens see what can happen when you put your mind to it. Yeap, my friend is a bulldog that I would not want to face in any circumstance, unless she happens to be your advocate. So be a bulldog and see what will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment