Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Talk, Talk, Talk

I know that it is easy to say that talk is cheap and actions speak volumes. Yesterday, I spent most of the day in meetings being with good friends who have an interest in being part of making a difference in the lives of at risk youth. I definitely got in my 10,000 words that day, per John Grey who authored ‘Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus’. I loved interacting and thinking out side the box. The challenge too often is that too much is said without any real action taking place.

Today is a totally different day where I started off with having to collect supplies for our painting blitz and then had breakfast with a couple of older friends who are awesome volunteers for our painting projects. I didn’t get in my 10,000 words but instead we are doing something that will impact a neighborhood and bring together 100’s of volunteers this coming Saturday. My friends are busy power washing a historic house in downtown Phoenix that is a hang out place for the neighborhood.

I know that actions speak louder than words and that too often what is missing is choosing to take the initiative to stand up for someone who isn’t able to stand on their own. Clearly it is easier to wax eloquently for hours in a meeting but another thing to actually get down and get ‘dirty’ on someone else’s behalf. What has impacted my life is when my friends choose to walk with me through life’s ups and downs and not talk a whole lot. Yes, the last thing someone needs when they are hurting is a lecture. Yet, this is what typically happens to most in tough situations.

Yes, there is a part to our journey with becoming healthy that we need to think out loud about our life choices. This last weekend I was around a group of teens and 20 somethings that were in the middle of real tragedy. I can’t fathom the reaction of a parent that hears that their daughter has been shot at a house party and now is dead. Another friend, who has lived with us on and off for the last 5 years, has a near death experience. He’s walking from QT in his old neighborhood and is chased by some unknown guys and then threatened by a gun as someone drives alongside of them. My friend runs home in total disbelief with his world being shook.

My wife goes to work at the hospital this morning to discover most of the staff down because of a fellow nurse who just died from brain cancer. My Anne knows first hand that what her friends need is a hug, a card, flowers but not some trite statement about how all things work together for the good. I have too many friends who have lost spouses and kids who have been told that God needed them in heaven so he took them. Yes, words can actually be harmful at times.


Life can be tough at times and what makes it beautiful is when we choose to be a positive influence on those around us. Yes, this requires some work and thoughtfulness on our part. So I know that my Anne is great at writing little notes and getting amazing cards that show a friend’s care without a lot of words. I know that after the death of my dad I’m helped more by a hug or a warm look that shows more about concern and love then words that fall on empty ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment