Friday, November 22, 2013

Meet my angel or army of one - Jenessa!

I know that it isn’t politically correct to talk about armies and serving God or impacting a neighborhood in today’s culture. Yet, the blessing for me is that I have an amazing gift from God who is like an angel and an army of one in Jenessa our incredible intern. I have been blessed over the last 3 years to have college interns from Arizona State University and Grand Canyon University. It has made a huge difference in the impact we can have with our kids, teens and grandmas. It has been a great experience for Anne and I as we get to work with shaping the lives of these college students as they get a better sense about their future, as they become incredible servants.  

Jenessa reminds me very much of myself and Anne when we were her age, except for the fact that we got married.  Jenessa is someone that lives out her passion for Christ in a 150% fashion! What attracted me to my Anne was her love for God and willingness to take risks to see the gospel impact the world around her. Our Jenessa is someone who has chosen to take risks and dive into the lives of at risk youth that live in South Phoenix. What is incredible is that she hasn’t let race, background, education or emotions get in the way of literally adopting kids in our neighborhood and becoming big sister or really mom.

I have had over 20 interns over the last 3 years and few have the energy, passion, commitment and patience like Jenessa.  She has chosen to enter into the world of our youth, which includes a lot of heartache, brokenness, bitterness and confusion. Jenessa has brought a stabilizing presence to these youth who don’t have dads and have single moms who usually are too busy to be with their kids and teens. Jenessa has taken these kids and teens into her dorm and her parent’s home. She has provided them with a sense of real love and compassion that will impact them for a lifetime.

One of my passions is to help youth and adults get it and see that you don’t wait for life to happen but you dive in and make life incredible. It is too easy to make excuses about life circumstances. Most of our youth don’t have good homes, stable lives or consistency with your typical life experiences. Yet, I know that making excuses and blaming someone for your circumstances doesn’t fix anything but only creates a monster that is very difficult to be tamed. It is so easy to have an attitude that assumes everyone is out to get you and that the world owes you everything. Jenessa is someone who is facing this monster and overcoming it with the gospel of grace and mercy!

I have prayed over the last 5 years for key leaders to move into my neighborhood. Jenessa will be our first full time leader to actually live in South Phoenix. We have had interns that have stayed with us the last 2 summers to help with our program. I know that the only way to impact a kid, teen or adult’s life is to be around them all of the time. This is impossible to do when you have to commute! God is the primary example of how important it is to relocate or move into the neighborhood. This is exactly what Christ did on our behalf. He left the glory of his heavenly home to come to our neighborhood to show the real meaning of life! (John 1:14)

Yes, I believe in angels and also one man or I should say one woman army. It isn’t any surprise that God can use a few to impact many. This last weekend we did a painting blitz with 200 plus volunteers that painted 9 homes in a few hours. I am always amazed at how easy it is to accomplish much when many are willing to step up. The only reason that many step up to help is because there are a few, like Jenessa, who choose to dive in all of the way and be the living example of God’s love and grace in a tangible fashion.


Anne and I are very blessed and fortunate to have our servant leader Jenessa be part of our New City Barrio Nuevo family! We love you Jenessa J

No comments:

Post a Comment