Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Commitment & Stepping Up!

It is too easy to allow the past to be your present life experience. I have run 7 marathons in my life. This is an easy way to brag on yourself. The real challenge is that this was 7 years ago since I ran my last marathon. It was actually a Country Western Marathon in Nashville. I love to run but have allowed life circumstances to stop me from committing again to running in a consistent way that gets me ready to run 26.2. I know that there are many life events that require ongoing effort that many are not willing to make. We talk about doing great things all of the time but the proof is always in our actions and the end result.

I know that too often any life changes, i.e. stop smoking, losing weight or exercising, require a daily commitment. So how does someone rethink their approach to making a big life change? I know that as start to run again after being a walker isn’t easy. We are very disciplined to get up early, like 5am and walk our dogs everyday. We are also very proactive to go for canal walks also at night before going to bed. These are a delight and great opportunity to reflect on the day and give our canines a chance to run wild. Yet, these aren’t going to prepare me for a 26.2 adventure.

So I confess to the fact that at times I will use high tech toys to motivate me to do my running. So yes I have a Nike+ fuelband that monitors my daily activity and also a gps watch that keeps track of my runs. I know that in my past running there weren’t the fancy apps or websites that show your progress and actually map out your course. It shouldn’t surprise me that my run to the top of South Mountain Summit is a gain of 865 feet in 2 miles. (Ouch there are lots of steep inclines during this workout.) I’m not out to break any records and the sad reality for me is that it is real work to get back into running and see my time go from 11/10 minute miles back to my previous goal of 8-9 minutes for long distances.  Yes, I’m old and out of shape.

My hope is to always be someone that is both adventurous and a risk taker that can influence others to do something they don’t believe they are capable of doing.  The daily grind of being a long distance runner is that you just have to do it regardless of how you feel or what excuse you have that could easily distract you from accomplishing your goal. So I am discovering that hard work is just a fact of life and that any short cut mentality will only end in not reaching your goals.


We live during a time when instant gratification is the norm. I will admit that I’m use to getting what I want instantly. I love the fact that I can use my Amazon one click on my iPhone and get whatever item the following day. Yet, the reality for most is that delayed gratification is the typical experience of life. I know that I won’t be able to cross a finish line for a race in January unless I run everyday. There are no short cuts or pills I can pop that will take the place of just doing it. So it’s a run at lunchtime regardless of the temperature! I’m thankful that I have the health and will power to still do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment