Thursday, January 15, 2015

Consequences don't have to be bad!

I’m always shocked or blown away when someone gets in trouble for doing something that would be considered foolish and act as if they didn’t think anything would happen. I live around many that are pushing the envelope all of the time and more often than I want to admit these individual either end up in jail or becomes a statistic. Why is it the case that there are so many drug or alcohol issues and then a look of shock when someone’s girlfriend gets pregnant? It isn’t rocket science as to why some individuals end up with the best jobs, promotions and seem to be the real change agents while others are in court or behind bars.

My mom was blessed in the area of common sense logic. She would always remind me that each day I had a choice to do good things that would make a difference or be a spectator on the sidelines watching others make it happen. I grew up with the expectation that helping, giving and being available must be a natural part of life. This last week I was so impressed with a close friend who has stepped up to help her ex’s family with the death of a family member. It’s one thing to help someone whose brother or cousin died of cancer or was killed in a car crash but what about someone that is killed in a drug related incident?

I get it that people, especially family, get into fights often and these incidents can escalate to screams, pushing, shoving and then a weapon appears. Here is my disconnect, why does everything today have to end up with a death or someone in the hospital? Why can’t common sense rule instead of revenge or I could never just walk away and see losing an argument as winning? I’m around kids that live this way and end up getting suspended or get hours of detention because they can’t control their anger and the consequences all of a sudden become real.

What has to happen to the notion that when you do great things that good things happen and that if you play and live on the dark side that it’s just a matter of time before you get hurt or you hurt someone? Why would anyone in their right mind choose to attempt to scam via Facebook, hack into someone’s account or rip off an elderly lady at the corner?

I conclude with a huge praise for my friend’s decision to be a helper in the midst of hurt caused by someone living on the wrong side of the tracks. My hope is that others will learn more about common sense as these types of tragedies ultimately don’t have to occur! 

No comments:

Post a Comment