Monday, January 12, 2015

Satire, Sarcasm, Slurs - the fine line for freedom of expression.

As a kid my mom raised me to understand that the age-old truth that sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you was a total lie. The reality, which my mom helped me understand, was that words at times could be even more powerful than sticks or stones. I can remember in elementary school playing this game where we would say rather outlandish things like your momma wears combat boots or is so fat she can’t fit through the double doors. It never occurred to me that the majority of these slurs were always about moms.  My mom never fit this image because she was pretty, skinny and never wore boots of any type. Yet, I had a few friends whose moms were awesome people but were on the portly side. I never stopped to consider whether our joking around offended them.

The difficulty then and now is what we say does impact our thoughts, feelings and actions to such an extent that a war could erupt over some religious slur or satirical cartoon.  I confess to the fact that I can be rather sarcastic at times and not realize how powerful a few words could be that someone might actually walk away and believe that life isn’t worth living.  How horrible that my selfish speech pattern could push someone to question whether life is worth living!

I applaud a CNN writer who challenged the notion of freedom of speech that has been exhibited recently between cartoons and comedians. She was quick to explain that she was all about freedom of expression but believed that too many had gone too far and everything that was drawn, written or spoken was far from the truth. Yes, it is always important to be able to laugh at yourself but now the numbing impact of what happens when everyone goes too far and we see that words can cause someone to use sticks and stones or in this case guns to retaliate for this supposed freedom of speech where blood has been spilt.

I know that race and religion are very tender topics amongst most.  I catch myself on occasion chuckling when I hear some of my African American kids or teens talk about that they really aren’t that dark a shade of black or brown. I have watched when someone has been put down or laughed at because they were the darkest color in the group. The echo of Martin Luther King’s speech that ends with the thought that what is most important isn’t the color of one’s skin, or in this context the shade of color, but this person’s character.

Is it possible to be a person of character who is still able to use satire, wit, humor, and sarcasm without being slanderous? Why is it that we poke fun at those that are different from us? Is it possible for those that are great at pushing the envelope to receive back the same type of treatment without going overboard? I watched quite a few interviews with different comedians and celebrities where this erupted into a verbal war. Clearly, everyone is sensitive to their own biases and convictions when someone else chooses to belittle them or treat them like dirt…..


I applaud the massive crowd and various leaders from around the world that stood in unity against what unfolded last week in France. The opportunity at hand is to rethink how we express ourselves so that the world around us has the ability to grasp our satire so everyone can learn from what just happened so it doesn’t repeat itself. Yes, this is rather naïve mindset but it’s time that we see that tolerance of opposing views of life must be at the forefront if there is to be peace in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment