Monday, February 13, 2017

Open Your Eye!

I live in the land of incredible sunrises and sunsets. Yet, too often my head is stuck in my iPhone either responding to a text or just looking at social media. I’ve grown accustomed to having my wife always ream me for not looking up instead of being focused on the path or ground around me. It’s tragic that most spend their lives with their head buried in the sand missing out on real life!

Yes, I can actually remember life before PC’s, Mac’s or smart phones. I spent most of my college and grad days typing on this ancient Smith Corona Typewriter. Relationships were based upon actual conversation instead of this text or messaging world that dominates. I was taken back that one of my more intelligent teen gals actually had a long-distance relationship with a guy that she had never met face to face. I couldn’t imagine how you could truly know this person and forget talking about being close to your BF or GF?

It’s always humbling for me to admit that I don’t have perfect eye sight, not bad but wearing by glasses especially at night means that I actually can read the various street signs instead of faking it or reading the signs as I pass them. Why would anyone not want to have great eye sight and be able to see the incredible sunsets or the Grand Canyon or my favorite place Yosemite and Half Dome?

It’s amazing what you can see when you open your eyes and put your iPhone in your pocket. I confess to the fact that it’s too easy to even drive with your phone stuck on your dash and still be distracted when driving.  I will never forget how my dad’s eye sight improved greatly after his cataract surgery. He made the comment that he could now actually read his newspaper instead of just looking at the pictures. Sadly. too often I have self-imposed cataracts that blind me from seeing the beauty of life because of my fixation with my phone looking at updates.


Maybe it’s time to put down the phone, turn off the radio, TV or video device and have an actual conversation with the one you love for the best Valentine gift possible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment