Saturday, February 4, 2017

Smile! It’s a life decision that will rock the world!!

We live in a crazy world where 140 characters can seem to almost kill a company, destroy someone’s reputation or even cause someone to SMILE or laugh! Hopefully a tweet won’t cause a war or the death of someone. My hope is that instead of always being so quick to judge another person we would refrain from saying something caustic, won’t mention any names but instead smile! Yes, most mothers have told their kids or teens that it takes less energy to smile than it does to frown.

I admit to the fact that I’m a people watcher and it boils down to seeing that beauty isn’t about body shape but the gleam that comes out when a young kid or that aging senior smiles and shows you their joy. I know that amid the ongoing Aleppo tragedy there was a pic of a kid that broke the heart of the world, not necessarily our leaders. If we would slow down on occasion, we would see the smiles especially of those that have been hurt by the exploits of others whether that is for the power to conquer another country or build a financial empire.

Today I will attend a memorial service of a friend who died too soon after a freak accident. My friend had become an avid cyclist and nutrionist. I was fortunate to be able to visit my friend who was in a neck brace after having serious surgery. What stood out wasn’t the condition of his body but his glowing SMILE and intent to make me laugh. Yes, he was the one that messed around that forced another friend and I to laugh and cry at the same time. My dear friend taught me even during tragedy that a smile can brighten up anyone’s day.

As I sit here in my Starbuck enjoying my coffee and a muffin it’s a pleasant surprise to see how many of my friends come in with a smile, handshake and cheerful question, ‘how’s it going’? I’m blessed to be around a large variety of people with a rather diverse background and setting. I know that if all of my friends were to be in the same room there might be some rather interesting questions or heated discussions. My hope is that even in the midst of theological, political or racial dialogue everyone would have a smile!

I know that a smile often is best caught than taught. My mom was always quick to tell me that a smile would brighten my day and those around me. She would remind me that having a bad attitude would ruin my day and even damper her day. (She was quick to tell me that she didn’t want that!) So, as I learn from an older retired friend who typically is at Starbucks with me who intentionally smiles and wishes everyone a great day. Even someone who is on a rather different side of the theological tracks.

I love this pic of the bus with the two riders where one is looking at the rock wall with a frown and the other has his camera out taking pics of an exciting landscape. How is it possible to be on the same trail or path in life and see one person looking down, missing out and the other has their head up in the air enjoying a breath-taking sunset.

I confess that my wife has screamed at me for looking at my iPhone and not the awe-inspiring sunset! Ouch! I’m still learning that a smile and looking out and up will change my world!


No comments:

Post a Comment