Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Strays and School

I have becoming a militant in the last year of so. I tire of individuals making excuses about why they can't do something. The reality is that they choose not to do anything. The unfortunate thing is that this impacts not just them but also everyone else around them. It would be one thing if we all lived in a vacuum that had no effect on those we love but it does.

I have a few teens in my life who always seem to be on the edge of either not going to school or being kicked out for very reasons. The challenge is that lack of support from their family means they are stranded and on their own. We walk on the canal and often see stray dogs that are walking aimlessly around looking for anyone to help but because they are so tired and close to exhaustion that they are too afraid to receive help.

I hate to compare teens with stray dogs but there is a lot of cross-over. You can figure out how to survive given time and circumstances. I would not want to be homeless and have to always be concerned about where I was going to sleep tonight or what I was going to eat for the day. We live in an area where there is a dog and cat population that is bursting. Everyone wants a dog or pet and yet chooses not to care for them and often abandons them when times are tough. I can't fathom that a teen can end up in the same category as a stray.

Over the last couple of weeks I have gotten on a couple of my guys who aren't in school and could very easily slide through this whole semester without doing any school. Because I care and enjoy torturing people I continued to bug these guys and their parent/guardians to do something instead of just waiting. The sad news is that without my intervention neither guys would be in school right now. I know it would be easy for me to get into an argument with their parent/guardian. I know that arguing wouldn't do much but hurt them and they still wouldn't be in school.

So yeah I forced myself on them and said I'll be there in the morning and let's sign up for school. No we are not going to the school that is outside of your district or some charter school where you won't be accepted because of last year's issues. The simple fact is that by going in and talking and listening both these guys are now in school! I'm no saint but see the blessing through being consistent and pushy at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment