Monday, September 19, 2011

Wait - I'm the Good Guy?

I had one of those days that just aren’t suppose to happen, especially because it was almost my birthday. I was been Mr. organized and double-checking on a house we were going to paint in a week or so. I had talked with one of the adult siblings who live in the house. I was given the clear impression that everything was a go. I needed it to be a go because I have over 100 volunteers coming in just a little over a week.

Surprise, surprise as I knock on the door and apparently have woke up one my friend’s brothers who was sleeping. He had this have dazed look on his and face and seemed to be saying by his facial expression – who the h_____ are you? I quickly explained and thought would clear up his facial expression. The challenge was that painting his house for free didn’t bring cheers but a look of frustration and anger.

Oops – I apologized, I don’t know why it wasn’t my fault but his sister had made all of these arrangements without telling him. I explained that I was under the ‘gun’ to have a decision. I could tell by the way that he responded that it wasn’t going to be a yes but I am going to chew out my sister for again doing something that didn’t make any sense.

I drove off in my truck a little or a lot frustrated and wondering ok God what’s next? So I quickly call up the other grandma who is getting her house painted and got her sister’s info. I immediately call Margret and discover someone who is delightful, friendly and thankful. Wow – yes she is the one I know God wants me to help. We will still do Dorothy’s house but at another time. What makes this house the better choice is that it is walking distance from the house we are doing.

I sat and talked with Margret and had a great time hearing her story and about how long she has been in Phoenix. She told me about her deceased husband and then about her son who lives in Jersey close to New York. As we chatted I had this peaceful sense building around me that sometimes it takes a bad hair day, the brother that opened the door and a little push to let my inner spirit guide me. I sensed that it wasn’t the right time to do Dorothy’s house but didn’t have any definite alternatives.

Next Saturday we will have 120 volunteers, mostly college students, who will paint two houses, clean up an alley and make burritos to take to the homeless in the downtown area. My birthday was still crazy because I end up helping a good friend move to a different apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment